Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BIG issue updating my I-phone 5s to IOS 12.4--Aug 8, 2019

FYI for anyone about to update an older iphone to IOS 12.4. I-pad updated OK. I-phone 5s, which had no previous problem, got down to the last little bit of the progress bar & hung up showing the white screen & black Apple Logo. i could not get off the white screen/ Apple Logo screen. I was updating through I-Tunes with cable. The progress bar looked to be all black, indicating procedure completed for black part, but with a magnifying glass a nub of the gray still could be seen. At that point I let it continue to sit for 3 hours & the procedure never did finish. I have literally spent hours on this attempted update.

Pressing/ holding the power button did nothing. Holding the power button & home button down together then releasing the home button but holding the power button brought it back to the white screen and the progress bar. The progress bar would get to the same point & hang up at the very end as before.

I-tunes could not do a Restore procedure. At this point I am trying the Recovery procedure, again through I-Tunes with cable, which I understand will wipe out everything and should restore the phone to factory settings, supposedly with the 12.4 update installed.

I have now reached the last bit of the progress bar under Recovery and I am waiting to see what will happen but I am afraid 12.4 has bricked the phone totally. At this point I have been waiting about 30 minutes. Had I known that this would happen, I would have avoided 12.4 entirely.

Recovery is usually the most severe option but does anyone have any other suggestions.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 2:32 PM

RESOLVED--After multiple attempts I was finally able to wipe out all info then update with 12.4 firmware then restore data from backup. For the effort which finally took I did nothing differently and once the black in the progress bar reached the end of the bar it only took 2-3 minutes for the white Apple Logo screen to disappear & I was able to reboot. No idea why the efforts hung up on the white screen before. Only issue now is that some of the icons show "waiting" or "loading" which I assume will resolve themselves over time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2019 2:32 PM in response to TEXASCITIZEN

RESOLVED--After multiple attempts I was finally able to wipe out all info then update with 12.4 firmware then restore data from backup. For the effort which finally took I did nothing differently and once the black in the progress bar reached the end of the bar it only took 2-3 minutes for the white Apple Logo screen to disappear & I was able to reboot. No idea why the efforts hung up on the white screen before. Only issue now is that some of the icons show "waiting" or "loading" which I assume will resolve themselves over time.

Aug 9, 2019 11:52 AM in response to TEXASCITIZEN

What was you previous iOS version, that is important, because iOS 12.4 only had the following changes. Please introspect how these changes can affect what you have posted.

Phone migration

• Introduces the ability to wirelessly transfer data and migrate directly from an old iPhone to a new iPhone during setup

Apple News

• Makes downloaded issues accessible in the My Magazines section, both online and offline
  • Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
  • Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues by selecting History > Clear > Clear All

Other improvements and fixes

• Includes a security fix for the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch and re-enables Walkie-Talkie functionality

This release also includes support for HomePod in Japan and Taiwan.

I have iPhone 6, iPhone SE and iPad Pro all running beautifully on iOS 12.4.

Look for any spurious softwares or unauthorised apps that you may have downloaded directly from Internet

BIG issue updating my I-phone 5s to IOS 12.4--Aug 8, 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.