New Iphone stuck at install Now during update!

Got a new iPhone13 from work and I'm trying to setup and transfer data from old phone (XR). Everything went smoothly until it said update required.

Look at the screen, the version number is cut off!! Pathetic for a premium product! And it took more than 30mins to download and now has been stuck at install now for 2hrs!

Looks like I have no option but to start over. Any other suggestions?

And no it's not internet connection, mine is pretty fast!

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 5:58 PM

Other users have encountered a transfer problem if the new iPhone updates iOS during the transfer.

If this is your case, stop the update and configure your iPhone as a new iPhone, i.e. without transferring data. This will allow you to update iOS.

To stop the update, force the iPhone to restart:

1. A quick click on the volume+ button.
  2. A quick click on the volume- button.
  3. Hold down the side button until the Apple logo appears. This can take up to 20 seconds.

Then, erase the iPhone (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone and tap Erase Content and Settings) and then set it up again, this time by transferring the data with quick start.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 5:58 PM in response to Not_icloud_user

Other users have encountered a transfer problem if the new iPhone updates iOS during the transfer.

If this is your case, stop the update and configure your iPhone as a new iPhone, i.e. without transferring data. This will allow you to update iOS.

To stop the update, force the iPhone to restart:

1. A quick click on the volume+ button.
  2. A quick click on the volume- button.
  3. Hold down the side button until the Apple logo appears. This can take up to 20 seconds.

Then, erase the iPhone (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone and tap Erase Content and Settings) and then set it up again, this time by transferring the data with quick start.

Oct 18, 2023 3:28 PM in response to MrBill3

I am not sure if these two links help.

But I did try to start over the setup process. First time it got stuck on a page before face id setup. The back button did not work. Now I have started over again and it has got to the software update step. It is downloading, though the size seems to be lower than earlier. Let's see.

I just did a similar setup for my wife's phone couple of days ago and everything worked perfectly.

Oct 18, 2023 4:55 PM in response to MrBill3

Tried to start over and update again, same result. Just stuck for hours at install now. I believe it is trying to install 17.0.3 while at the same time trying to transfer data also? No idea.

Now I going to skip the so called quick setup process, manually set up the phone, then upgrade the OS and then erase and try again to transfer data directly.

It's quite awful, really.

New Iphone stuck at install Now during update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.