Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Randomly and frequently my left click button just stops working

hello boys

so my macbook has had a long running issue and i cant seem to fix it.

the problem is that randomly, and frequently my left click button just stops working. (i use a usb dell mouse) or it's getting registered as being held down. i can only resolve this my resetting my mac or closing it for a while.

to live with this, i set it so that the primary mouse button is the right click button and thats fine, but its extremely hard to use my mac still.

ive tried many different mice so there's nothing wrong with my mouse, and it of course happens with the trackpad too.

how could i solve this? thanks for any useful help

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 7:07 PM

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it is activated several times).

Maybe a key on the keyboard or the mouse button has an issue. Maybe disable "Tap to click" in the Trackpad System Preferences in case the Trackpad has an odd failure which might affect the mouse. Try using another mouse and making sure to unplug the current Dell mouse.

Maybe try creating a new user account to see if the issue still occurs. Also try Safe Mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2019 7:07 PM in response to cantcomeupwithausernamelol

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it is activated several times).

Maybe a key on the keyboard or the mouse button has an issue. Maybe disable "Tap to click" in the Trackpad System Preferences in case the Trackpad has an odd failure which might affect the mouse. Try using another mouse and making sure to unplug the current Dell mouse.

Maybe try creating a new user account to see if the issue still occurs. Also try Safe Mode.

Randomly and frequently my left click button just stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.