Left click on my mouse stopped working after macOS Ventura update

After the last Apple update, the left click on my mouse stopped working. I used a double left-click all the time to select a word. I'm using a Mac OS Ventura 13.4 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5. I've been trying to resolve this for a week now, but can't find an answer.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 7:45 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 28, 2023 1:15 PM in response to IDKwhattonameit

I have the same issue after the update to 13.4.1 on my 16inch M1 MacBook Pro 2021. The primary click stopped working and restart didn't help. I restarted in recovery mode where everything was normal and proceed to reboot again when it momentarily fixed the problem until it came back again after a few minutes.

I called the apple support and they suggested to reinstall Mac OS from recovery mode. I did and it started working again however, it is intermittent. Read below behaviour post reinstall:

I have noticed that I can reproduce the problem by letting the MacBook sleep on its own due to inactivity. As soon as the display goes off, I press the click to wake it up again and the problem comes back. Note that you have to wake it up quickly otherwise if you leave it for more than a few seconds before waking it up again, it goes to the password prompt and not sure if it is reproducible that way.

Once it gets into this state, I have noticed that it fixes itself after leaving it for a while or restarting in recovery and then full restart. This is really disruptive and I have read some reddit posts where I am sure I am not the only one with this issue. Please fix or escalate.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Jun 27, 2023 1:12 PM in response to _grapple

I was able to get the left click to work again because somehow the key repeat "delay until repeat" setting in the system preferences under "keyboard" was set too fast. When I slowed it down, the left click started to work again. Apparently, the key delay repeat overrode the double click. Sorry if I haven't explained it well, but I'm an "I know how to drive this car, but I can't change the tires" kind of computer user.🤓

Left click on my mouse stopped working after macOS Ventura update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.