Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers upgrade will not download

Help. I operate on OS X Yosemite desktop. My Numbers spreadsheets are on iCloud. My version is 3.6.2 (2577). I cannot read my spreadsheets as the system says I have to upgrade Numbers via the App Store. I try but it just keeps whirring... I am stuck. Any suggestions?

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 10:56 PM

Hi McGoily,

An 'Alias' is a pointer to an actual file. The most visible examples are the icons on the Dock, which, when clicked, launch the application to whom that icon belongs. You can't 'change' that icon from an alias to a Numbers file icon, but you can replace it with the actual file, IF you know where the file in located, and either move it to the local (ie, 'on your Mac') location currently holding the alias, or Save a copy in that location.

If your file has been saved to iCloud, or has been opened in Numbers for iOS, you may still be unable to open it with Numbers 3.6.2. Current iOS version is compatible only with current macOS versions of Numbers, which will not on OS X v 10.10.x (Yosemite).

You are unable to download updates to the current version of numbers because that version will not run in Yosemite—it requires macOS 10,13,x or macOS 10.14 (High Sierra or Mojave). Th App store carries ONLY the current versions of the iWork applications.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2019 10:56 PM in response to McGoily

Hi McGoily,

An 'Alias' is a pointer to an actual file. The most visible examples are the icons on the Dock, which, when clicked, launch the application to whom that icon belongs. You can't 'change' that icon from an alias to a Numbers file icon, but you can replace it with the actual file, IF you know where the file in located, and either move it to the local (ie, 'on your Mac') location currently holding the alias, or Save a copy in that location.

If your file has been saved to iCloud, or has been opened in Numbers for iOS, you may still be unable to open it with Numbers 3.6.2. Current iOS version is compatible only with current macOS versions of Numbers, which will not on OS X v 10.10.x (Yosemite).

You are unable to download updates to the current version of numbers because that version will not run in Yosemite—it requires macOS 10,13,x or macOS 10.14 (High Sierra or Mojave). Th App store carries ONLY the current versions of the iWork applications.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers upgrade will not download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.