Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

converting Word docs to Pages

Help! How do I convert Word docs (migrated from my ancient iMac) to Pages on my new imac with macOS Mojave?

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2019 12:40 PM

Thank you all. Apple Support and I discovered a simple solution: Pages can open any of my old Word documents so long as it has the .doc extension on the name. I get the "cannot open" message if the name of the document does not have that extension.

So, for any document I want, I add that and it opens. And if I hit "Save" it is saved as a Pages document, as well as dropping back in as a .doc.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2019 12:40 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you all. Apple Support and I discovered a simple solution: Pages can open any of my old Word documents so long as it has the .doc extension on the name. I get the "cannot open" message if the name of the document does not have that extension.

So, for any document I want, I add that and it opens. And if I hit "Save" it is saved as a Pages document, as well as dropping back in as a .doc.

Aug 10, 2019 11:33 PM in response to MacSinceSE

Pages is not a Word clone, but will open uncomplicated Word documents that it can translate to the internal Pages format without failure, or that are not too old. I have a 1995 Word 6 document that Pages v8.1 says it cannot read, but LibreOffice v6.3.0.4 can. Pages v8.1 can open a 2000 Word document though.

If you want the closest MS Word compatibility, or insurance for opening older Word documents, then I recommend using LibreOffice v6.3.0.4.

Aug 11, 2019 2:06 PM in response to MacSinceSE

Yes, Pages does need a proper file extension on the Word document, though you should first check to be certain that macOS is not simply hiding the extension in the Get Info panel.

As you can see from the dialog above, if the document is too old, even the upper, or lower case .doc extension will not matter and Pages will simply refuse to open the document. In this case, still a valid reason to keep a current release of LibreOffice installed.

converting Word docs to Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.