Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (early 2011) Cpu (i5 2415m) working on minimum operating frequency (800 mhz on 99 % load)

hi, my cpu is locked on the minimum operating frequency, this makes my macbook pro very slow even if I have an ssd. I don't know why this happens, I hope someone can help me solve this problem.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 11:55 PM

4 replies

Aug 11, 2019 10:31 AM in response to Qantum

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times).

Try running the Apple Hardware Test.

If the system is not getting enough power, then it can run at very low levels even under load. Verify the laptop's power adapter is working correctly. Maybe the battery is failing so even if the power adapter is good, the battery might keep the system from having enough power. Check the battery status by Option clicking on the battery icon in the menu bar. Anything but "Normal" or "Good" indicates the battery should be replaced.

Aug 11, 2019 11:45 AM in response to Qantum

I am not aware of any similar program.

Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode?

You could try reinstalling macOS on top of itself or even perform an erase and clean install using Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R.

Some 15" & 17" 2011 models had known GPU issues. I wonder if the GPU may be interfering somehow. Maybe you could force the laptop to use the Intel GPU instead of the discrete GPU. I know an app exists to force the Intel GPU to be used instead, but I don't have the links or information. There are a number of posts on these forums with links and directions.

Aug 11, 2019 11:30 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the reply, I have already tried all the possible resets, the apple test did not find any problems, I removed the battery, the ac power supply has no problems. I solved this problem by installing windows os with a program (throttlestop) by deactivating BD PROCHOT. I think the problem is the chipset.

Could you tell me if there is a similar program for mac os? (I've already tried Volta, it doesn't work)

MacBook Pro (early 2011) Cpu (i5 2415m) working on minimum operating frequency (800 mhz on 99 % load)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.