Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cpu stuck at 500mhz. Sluggish performance.

My macbook air 2017 mid has been stucked at 500mhz, it is not going up, system is very slugish, although the battery is in normal condition. Already factory restored the system by wiping out all the data but still the problem persist. Also SMC and NVRAM has been reset. Please help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 5:33 PM

You most likely have some sort of power issue with the laptop. Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any errors are reported (it may also detect issues with the battery as well even though the condition is listed as "Normal").

Here is an Apple article for checking your Magsafe Charger & charging port:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

If you continue to have problems, then you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine your laptop since you do have some sort of hardware issue. Take your power adapter along so it can be examined and tested as well.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 5:33 PM in response to Abhishek_17

You most likely have some sort of power issue with the laptop. Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any errors are reported (it may also detect issues with the battery as well even though the condition is listed as "Normal").

Here is an Apple article for checking your Magsafe Charger & charging port:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

If you continue to have problems, then you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine your laptop since you do have some sort of hardware issue. Take your power adapter along so it can be examined and tested as well.

Jul 20, 2020 11:18 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you for your kind response, There is no issue found in the diagnostic, it is "Normal". Also I have followed the article and checked the charger, still it works fine. Also the issue remains same if I use it in battery without plugging in to charger, battery health is precisely good it is giving up to 8 hours of backup.

I could have already visited the apple service centre but unfortunately the service centre is far away from my town and due to Covid-19 it is not possible to travel all the way there.

I am very hope less now. I am not sure what could be the issue here with the hardware also have tried to install the OS to a external HD to check whether it is something to do with the ssd but still no luck. What could be possible solution into it, besides visiting the centre if you could suggest it would be great help. Thank you.

Jul 20, 2020 12:08 PM in response to Abhishek_17

Make sure to unplug the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Also try each of other USB- ports especially on the other side of the laptop if you have the Touchbar model.

Disconnect all external devices from the laptop in case one of them is drawing too much power or causing interference.

If none of this helps, then the laptop will need to be examined by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider since it most likely indicates an internal hardware issue. You can click on the "Contact Support" link at the top right of this page to see if your region has the option to mail the laptop to Apple for repair.

Jul 20, 2020 5:31 PM in response to HWTech

I have tried it, no help. I am a bit confused now, in case if there is a issue with the charger itself the system should be running well with the battery itself (without any external device or charger) ?? but it won't. I am sure it is a hardware issue also tried to reach apple support for the same but mailing the device is not an option for my location, should I get it check with some local non apple authorised centre?

Jul 20, 2020 9:42 PM in response to Abhishek_17

Abhishek_17 wrote:

Thanks. I will find one. From your comment I see it is something to do with power supply, could it be any cord or slots inside the machine that is making the issue?
I am most concerned about the motherboard itself because it very costly, by any chance this could be an issue of the motherboard?

There are several small inexpensive parts that could be causing the issue in addition to the Logic Board and Battery.

Jul 21, 2020 8:11 PM in response to Abhishek_17

No idea which part is bad as it could be any part interfering with the power delivery. There are multiple smaller parts in a MacBook Air so there are more possibilities than other Apple laptops, but a defective Logic Board is very likely. An Apple repair technician will be able to figure out which component(s) are defective.

I've seen so many strange things over the years there is no way to say definitively what is wrong without actually seeing the physical hardware in person.

Cpu stuck at 500mhz. Sluggish performance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.