Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

This may be a dumb question, so forgive me, i’m a newbie to MacBook. I know I can move photos into different albums. But then the photo stays in the “photo” category, the one that has them in chronological order. Is that not duplicating the photo by putting one copy in the album, and having to keep one in the “photos”? Does it take up twice as much space? I’m having a problem with moving some of my photos to albums and then forgetting where I left off in “photos” because they HAVE to stay there.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 2:37 AM

Photos is managing your photos like this:

• The main Photos view is always showing you all photos in your library. You can only remove a photo from "Photos" by deleting it.
  • When you create albums and add photos to albums, the albums are using the photos that are already stored in your library. The photos will not be duplicated by adding the to an album. You can add the photo to many albums without needing more storage. The albums are just like index cards showing you the photos organized in different ways.

If you want to see all photos that you did not yet add to an album in one place, a smart album can help.

• Use the command "File > New Smart Album". Set the rule to "Album is not any".

This smart album will show you all photos, that are not yet in any album. Then you can organize your photos from this album and find the photos quicker, that you may want to add to other albums.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2019 2:37 AM in response to JennyS0119

Photos is managing your photos like this:

• The main Photos view is always showing you all photos in your library. You can only remove a photo from "Photos" by deleting it.
  • When you create albums and add photos to albums, the albums are using the photos that are already stored in your library. The photos will not be duplicated by adding the to an album. You can add the photo to many albums without needing more storage. The albums are just like index cards showing you the photos organized in different ways.

If you want to see all photos that you did not yet add to an album in one place, a smart album can help.

• Use the command "File > New Smart Album". Set the rule to "Album is not any".

This smart album will show you all photos, that are not yet in any album. Then you can organize your photos from this album and find the photos quicker, that you may want to add to other albums.

Aug 12, 2019 2:40 AM in response to JennyS0119

Hi Jenny

You are not duplicating the photo. You can have the same photo in as many albums as you like, it’s just an organisational tool. Likewise if you delete an album you won’t delete the photos contained they will still be in the main library.

You can do a test to help you feel comfortable. Click on the ‘My Albums’ folder on left. Right click and choose ‘New Album’, no need to even name it, although you can if you like!

Then go to the very last photo at the bottom of your library and drag it into the album. The

folder symbol will change to very small thumbnail of that picture.

Click on the album to enter, you should see the picture. To delete picture from album right click on the picture (In the Album) and choose ‘Remove from Album’ at the bottom of the menu.

The album will now be empty but if you navigate back to the main photo library it should be still there.

Drag the photo back to the album and then delete the album. To delete the album, right click on the album and choose ‘Delete Album’ a message will appear. Click delete. Then check in the main library the photo will still be there.

If you accidentally click on 'Delete photo' instead of remove photo, not a problem as it will be in the 'Recently Deleted' folder top left. You won't have lost it.

Hope this helps

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.