You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enabling Bitlocker on Windows 10 disables built-in keyboard & trackpad at boot

Strange issue this. I installed Boot Camp with Windows 10 on my current model MacBook Pro without issue.

I then read up on BitLocker. I satisfied myself reading https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6229/how-to-use-bitlocker-on-drives-without-tpm/ and https://tonyho.net/filevault-and-bitlocker-on-a-mac-with-boot-camp/ that I could create a Bitlocker FDE Windows 10 partition and a FileVault FDE MacOS partition on the same drive, and did so. The problems started after this.

When booting into MacOS 10.14 Mojave, the MBP's keyboard and trackpad do not work before MacOS boots [edited for clarity]. This means that I cannot use the built-in keyboard to…

• boot from the Recovery Partition (⌘R)
  • select a different boot partition at startup (⌥), and most importantly
  • enter the FileVault password if booting MacOS

However if I plug in a USB keyboard and mouse (side note: ALWAYS keep one of those around for events such as these!) both built-in keyboard and trackpad function as expected and the MBP becomes usable.

Secondly, the MacOS Startup Disk preferences pane cannot see the BitLocker encrypted Windows 10 partition, so I can't tell MacOS to reboot into Windows. This wouldn't matter so much if it wasn't for the built-in keyboard and trackpad not working, which means I can't hold down the option ⌥ key to do so either!

Note that Apple's Boot Camp control panel on Windows 10 can see the FileVault encrypted MacOS partition, and I can type in the BitLocker password using the built-in keyboard when booting into Windows 10.

Thoughts?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 12, 2019 5:39 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 12, 2019 5:50 AM in response to HSpirit

(Replying to my own post!)

BitLocker isn't critical, and if removing it will restore proper Boot Camp behaviour I'll just remove FDE for Windows. However, following the principle of "when you've dug yourself into a hole, first stop digging," I didn't want to remove BitLocker FDE before seeking advice on the off-chance it makes things even worse…

Aug 12, 2019 5:57 AM in response to HSpirit

Is the Mac a 2019 model?

I could create a Bitlocker FDE Windows 10 partition and a FileVault FDE MacOS partition on the same drive, and did so. The problems started after this.

Unless BitLocker is unlocked, corresponding Windows drivers are no loaded. Plugging an external keyboard causes the drivers to be loaded, which allows the internal and external devices to work. There are other implications of external USB devices and Secure Boot.

BitLocker is not designed to share partitions with other OSes, unlike macOS.

Selecting the FileVault macOS volume from BC Control panel does not imply the volume is actually unlocked.

Aug 12, 2019 5:58 AM in response to HSpirit

HSpirit wrote:

(Replying to my own post!)

BitLocker isn't critical, and if removing it will restore proper Boot Camp behaviour I'll just remove FDE for Windows. However, following the principle of "when you've dug yourself into a hole, first stop digging," I didn't want to remove BitLocker FDE before seeking advice on the off-chance it makes things even worse…

You should remove BitLocker and test.

Aug 12, 2019 6:24 AM in response to Loner T

After removing BitLocker FDE on the Windows partition I still don't have a [built-in] keyboard or trackpad until MacOS boots. As per the above, this makes FileVault inoperable (as I can't input a FileVault password) as well as any startup key combinations.

Rather unsatisfactory: any ideas what to try next?

Better news is that the (now unencrypted) Windows partition is visible within MacOS Startup Disk, so I can at least boot into the opposing partition using the boot manager in each OS.

Aug 12, 2019 11:59 PM in response to Loner T

SMC reset killed it good and proper. Nothing except the haptic motors in the trackpad indicates it even has power. The Apple Store level 1 tech is stumped. It’s been escalated for diagnosis. My guess is that Bitlocker has interfered with the EFI in some way that the T2 definitely does not like.

Short bit of advice for any lurkers: do not enable Bitlocker.

Enabling Bitlocker on Windows 10 disables built-in keyboard & trackpad at boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.