Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up RAW image files to iCloud

Hi,

I'm trying to get back into photography, and part of that involves backing up or freeing up space on my SD cards. Preferred workflow *should* look something like this.

• Photos shot on camera (not i-device) in jpg and RAW
  • Via an iPad Pro (2018?) jpg images imported to Photos, while RAW files backed up to iCloud

Questions:

• Assuming I get a properly functioning SD card reader that has a Lightning connector, would I be able to import JPGs into Photos, while selecting the RAW files to be backed up to iCloud?
  • Would Apple's "Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader" allow this, or does it automatically import only jpgs to Photos while leaving no option to upload RAW files to iCloud?

Note that in order to reduce bulk during travel, my primary i-device would be my iPad Pro, or iPhone X.

Is there an easier process?

Thanks!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 1:52 PM

As for your second question, I found the following:

"If you can’t import some content

Apple camera adapters can import multiple types of media files from your digital camera or SD card. If the format isn't compatible with iOS, you won’t be able to view them on your device, but can import them to your computer later.

Apple camera adapters can import only content that was captured by digital cameras. You might not be able to import content that was renamed, edited, or copied to the digital camera or SD card."

From -- Import photos using Apple camera adapters - Apple Support.

As for the first question, I think the link can also possibly answer that too.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 1:52 PM in response to isalvin

As for your second question, I found the following:

"If you can’t import some content

Apple camera adapters can import multiple types of media files from your digital camera or SD card. If the format isn't compatible with iOS, you won’t be able to view them on your device, but can import them to your computer later.

Apple camera adapters can import only content that was captured by digital cameras. You might not be able to import content that was renamed, edited, or copied to the digital camera or SD card."

From -- Import photos using Apple camera adapters - Apple Support.

As for the first question, I think the link can also possibly answer that too.

Back up RAW image files to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.