Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 plus overhearted and wont turn on

Hi -

My iphone 6 plus died suddenly at 12% battery. I put it on charge and noticed it hadn't switched on after a while, picked it up and realised it was extremely hot to touch. I took it off charge and let it cool down, but it won't switch on or charge and isn't recognised by my computer at all.

I had a lot of photos which i hadn't backed up (stupidly) and was just wondering if there's any way to retrieve them at all? Apple said it wouldn't switch on and that they could offer me a new phone.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 10:23 AM

Without a backup or the ability to access the phone, getting your photos may be impossible. Per chance did you enable iCloud Photos with this phone? If so, you should be able to retrieve your photos from the iCloud Drive.

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 13, 2019 10:29 AM in response to z198

Depends on what the problem is. Apple doesn’t repair devices specifically to recover data. There are places that specialize in data recovery for iOS devices, but if you do that you might not be eligible to get any further “repair service” (replacement in your case) from Apple.

Apple’s entire service model includes a basic assumption that the customer comes in with the data already backed up. That’s just the way they operate.

Aug 13, 2019 10:33 AM in response to y_p_w

I have a new phone, I was ready to back everything up and switch over, but this happened just before. Therefore I'm not necessarily fussed if they don't repair/replace it in the future. I just want to recover the photos, i'll look into one of those places

Yeah, I understand - it was super silly not to have done so gaah!

Thanks for the response

Aug 13, 2019 10:33 AM in response to z198

z198 wrote:Do you have any idea what could have caused it to overheat?

Lots of things can cause overheating, but high ambient heat is the most likely. Being in a case would promote heat retention. I’ve just had my phone in the sun in a case and it went into thermal protection mode where won’t work (keeps minimal circuitry running to give the warning) until cooled down. Even then I’ve got over 125 cycles on my battery and it’s registering 99% health, so it doesn’t look like I killed the battery.

Aug 13, 2019 10:39 AM in response to z198

z198 wrote:

I have a new phone, I was ready to back everything up and switch over, but this happened just before. Therefore I'm not necessarily fussed if they don't repair/replace it in the future. I just want to recover the photos, i'll look into one of those places

Yeah, I understand - it was super silly not to have done so gaah!

Thanks for the response

I can’t give you any specific recommendations. I’ve tried that before and more or less it’s not allowed here. But it’s easy enough to look up who can do it in your area. The important thing would be that your flash and CPU aren’t damaged, and that the board isn’t completely fried. If you’re lucky it’s just a few simple surface mount components that can be replaced/removed to get it to work again.

Aug 13, 2019 10:45 AM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

The important thing would be that your flash and CPU aren’t damaged, and that the board isn’t completely fried. If you’re lucky it’s just a few simple surface mount components that can be replaced/removed to get it to work again.

I need to point out that the contents of the flash memory are encrypted with strong encryption, and the encryption key is in the secure enclave in the processor chip where it is not accessible. So removing the surface mounted components is a worthless exercise, because there will be no way to decrypt the contents.

Aug 13, 2019 11:00 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:
I need to point out that the contents of the flash memory are encrypted with strong encryption, and the encryption key is in the secure enclave in the processor chip where it is not accessible. So removing the surface mounted components is a worthless exercise, because there will be no way to decrypt the contents.

I meant maybe maybe a surface mount capacitor/resistor between power/ground is shorted, which would prevent powering on. But yeah if the flash or CPU gets damaged the data is pretty much gone. But I don’t subscribe to idea that Apple devices can’t be repaired - especially if it’s just to recover data.

If it’s something like a surface mount cap blown then it might even be possible to reuse a device indefinitely after the component is fixed. It would be obvious that it was “tampered” and the customer should understand that it would risk Apple’s future repair support. However, Apple is certainly like a lot of the places I’ve worked where an entire board is considered a single part and gets tossed if there’s a production test failure. That’s basically what the electronics industry is like these days with automated board assembly and micro BGA assembly in ovens.

iPhone 6 plus overhearted and wont turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.