Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store requesting wrong apple ID

I'm trying to update applications downloaded to my mac. I'm getting a request to enter the info for my son's apple ID. This is not the apple ID associated with my computer. I made sure that I'm logged in to the app store with my apple ID. I also checked system preferences to make sure I'm logged in there. I see nowhere that has my son logged in. It won't me update anything! HELP!!!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 11:55 PM

OK, so just got off chat with apple tech who walked me through it. I had to delete the app and reinstall it. Apparently, my son may have deleted the app and reinstalled it. This would have tied it to his ID and not mine. It still seems ridiculous that the administrator of a computer cannot update applications on said computer, regardless of who downloaded them in the first place... smh...

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2019 11:55 PM in response to King_Penguin

OK, so just got off chat with apple tech who walked me through it. I had to delete the app and reinstall it. Apparently, my son may have deleted the app and reinstalled it. This would have tied it to his ID and not mine. It still seems ridiculous that the administrator of a computer cannot update applications on said computer, regardless of who downloaded them in the first place... smh...

Aug 14, 2019 12:32 AM in response to King_Penguin

That's exactly what I was saying. That once I deleted them, my permissions were restored. What I find weird, since you mentioned licenses, is this: If I purchased an application, it is forever mine and I should have the ability to delete, re-download, and or update as I see fit (unless the developer stops updating it and deletes it from the app store). Whether my son subsequently deleted it and reinstalled it under his account, I was the original purchaser. Hence, it shouldn't take his apple ID to update an application for which I was the original owner. At this point, it's academic as I was able to update the applications. The whole thing was quite frustrating, though.

Aug 14, 2019 12:42 AM in response to Russell Brunet1

Russell Brunet1 wrote:

What I find weird, since you mentioned licenses, is this: If I purchased an application, it is forever mine and I should have the ability to delete, re-download, and or update as I see fit (unless the developer stops updating it and deletes it from the app store).

You do have the ability to redownload it. But for downloading updates the version that is currently installed on the device or computer must have been installed by your account for you to be able to download the update. The license is tied to the account that last installed the app, not anyone who has ever downloaded it.

Whether my son subsequently deleted it and reinstalled it under his account, I was the original purchaser. Hence, it shouldn't take his apple ID to update an application for which I was the original owner.

Of course it should take his account as his was the account that downloaded and installed that copy.

App Store requesting wrong apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.