Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Card not showing in Wallet despite Invite

I received an Apple card invite email, but when I open my Wallet, Apple Card is nowhere to be found.

I have more than one Apple ID, but the invite is correctly associated with my USA Apple ID, which has my registered mailing address in the US. My iPhone was originally purchased in Japan and the current SIM card I am using is a Japanese carrier, so I am unsure if that has something to do with Apple Card not appearing. It shouldn't though because I'm a US citizen with a residence in the US. But when I open Wallet, even when using a VPN app on my iPhone set to the USA, Wallet mentions "Suica" which is exclusive to Japan. Even if I switch off Date/Time in iOS settings to be manually set to a US state, Wallet still shows Suica. So I am wondering if iPhones purchased in Japan (or anywhere outside the US) are barred from showing Apple Card in the Wallet? If not, what's the trick to get Apple Card to display in my Wallet?

More specifically, when I enter Wallet and and press the blue "Continue" button, it takes me to "Card Type" and shows me this:

PAYMENT CARDS

Credit or Prepaid Card >

TRANSIT CARDS

Suica >

Apple Card should appear there, but it doesn't.

If I quit the Wallet app and relaunch it, then tap on the black circle with "+" inside at the top right, I get the spinning spike wheel inside the icon for a second, then I get the blue "Continue" button again.

Frustrated, I decided to create a brand new Apple ID with my registered address in the USA, and I enabled 2FA on that Apple ID too (required for Apple Card), and I asked for an invite, then got the invite, but I have the same exact problem in the Wallet app -- Apple Card doesn't appear!

So even though I have a US residence, now have 2 Apple ID's tied to that US residence, have more than one US bank account, have US credit cards, etc., Apple Card is not appearing in my Wallet despite my invite.

So is it the fact this iPhone 7 of mine was originally purchased in Japan? Is it my SIM card being tied to a foreign carrier (in Japan)? Or is it that I am not physically present in the US right now when trying to find Apple Card in my Wallet? Or is it a bug?

What do I do?

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 1:25 AM

12 replies

Aug 26, 2019 2:41 PM in response to JDW1

Make sure your device is set to the US in settings>general>language and region (I read your post and it doesn't look like you tried that). If it's not, change the country to US and restart the iPhone. Also, despite what someone just said to the contrary, physical location doesn't affect; I was able to access the Apple Card application while in Mexico just fine. The iPhone having been purchased in Japan can certainly be a problem, however, from a technology standpoint. As far as I know, Japan uses a different technology for Suica contactless payments and that means iPhones purchased elsewhere that come with a standard NFC chip aren't compatible with Japanese payment terminals and Japanese iPhones with a Suica chip don't work on standard NFC payment terminals such as the ones used in the US or Europe.

Sep 18, 2019 5:47 PM in response to Cooltea582

Ok, I got it working. First make sure your apple ID is set to the US. Then log off and unlink the device. Then preform a factory rest and IMPORTANT: do not link your apple ID or use or restore from old back up. Simply make the iphone as factory stock as you can make it with US region selected at prompt. Then go into the wallet. Then it should ask for your apple ID, and then, boom money. Make a happy dance by slicing your hands together and make it rain that apple money you’ve been waiting for.

Apple Card not showing in Wallet despite Invite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.