Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 4 Elevation Locked at 0M

Hello everyone ,

To have the information of Elevation on my Apple watch cell phone series 4, paired with my iPhone X, during exercise bike or walk, I am obliged to put my iPhone in the world plane, so that the altimeter of the watch works and gives me the information of altitude difference, if not the same exercise or course with the iPhone except plane mode gives no information of difference in altitude

I have been in touch for several days with Apple support, we have checked all the settings and everything is correct, I even performed a calibration of the watch and remove the pairing to the iPhone X

and today for the moment this is their conclusion to the problem from the audience:

This is what Apple concluded for the moment of my concern, since I have the cellular version of the Apple Watch 4 with eSIM not activated the watch takes the mobile network via the iPhone X and would not activate the altimeter of the watch and when the iPhone is in airplane mode the communication between the two is cut off, then the Apple watch finds it independent and will activate its altimeter

What do you think about this ? And is someone in the same situation as me? Iphone X, and Apple Watch 4 without package activated? and will have the same concern?

thank you

Vincent

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 9:48 AM

sorry you're right both examples that I put it is the two walking exercises that Apple had asked me to do, one with the iPhone in airplane mode and the other with the iPhone connected to the watch , with the option iPhone> Setting> Privacy> Motion and Fitness> Fitness Tracking is turned off, because it would be the sensor of the iPhone, and when I do free exercise I have the same results

here are examples of today

free exercise:

1: only the sensors of the watch , Iphone airplane mode

2: Apple watch connected to the iPhone X, with the option followed form activated in ON, so for me the sensor altimeters of the iPhone

3: Apple watch connected to the iPhone X and tracking form off, so for me no altimeter sensor works

I do not know if my conclusion would be good, but I think that when the Apple watch series 4 is connected to the iPhone X, it is the sensors of this one that would be taken into account for the calculation of the exercise where does the zero elevation when the follow-up sensor forms the iPhone is disabled, what do you think?

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 9:48 AM in response to Randy-12

sorry you're right both examples that I put it is the two walking exercises that Apple had asked me to do, one with the iPhone in airplane mode and the other with the iPhone connected to the watch , with the option iPhone> Setting> Privacy> Motion and Fitness> Fitness Tracking is turned off, because it would be the sensor of the iPhone, and when I do free exercise I have the same results

here are examples of today

free exercise:

1: only the sensors of the watch , Iphone airplane mode

2: Apple watch connected to the iPhone X, with the option followed form activated in ON, so for me the sensor altimeters of the iPhone

3: Apple watch connected to the iPhone X and tracking form off, so for me no altimeter sensor works

I do not know if my conclusion would be good, but I think that when the Apple watch series 4 is connected to the iPhone X, it is the sensors of this one that would be taken into account for the calculation of the exercise where does the zero elevation when the follow-up sensor forms the iPhone is disabled, what do you think?

Aug 14, 2019 1:45 PM in response to Randy-12

If I do not have the iPhone X in airplane mode, no elevation on my Apple Watch Series 4 GPS + Cellular, and am well in free exercise, and bitter Apple since it is a cell it is supposed to be used without the iPhone, and their solution is to cut the junction with the iPhone during an exercise.

And by chance you will not activate this option in your iPhone? because if yes drop that you get on your watch comes from the sensor of your iPhone and not your Apple watch

Apple Watch Series 4 Elevation Locked at 0M

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.