Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios itunes back up for mac

concerning the ios backup on itunes (using mac), do the photos get stored on the backup file itself or through the photos app? say if i don't back up my iphone photos via the mac photos app and i formatted my iphone, will i be able to retrieve them from restoring from itunes the normal back up file or do i have to have the photos backed up on their own from the photos app?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 1:49 PM

From the support document, key words highlighted.

iTunes backups

From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup. An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages

etc.

If the photos are in the camera roll then they will be restored if you restore the backup. If they are in iCloud (an umbrella term for a number of features), or were uploaded from your computer they won't be. Extracting from the backup is possible but not straightforward. It would be better to make local copies either way. I say this having read multiple posts from users who found themselves unable to restore a backup when the time came. It doesn't happen often, but archiving your backups, spreading the risk with an additional backup to iCloud, and copying off all important data should be standard practice to minimise the chance of data loss.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 1:49 PM in response to nirmaw

From the support document, key words highlighted.

iTunes backups

From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup. An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages

etc.

If the photos are in the camera roll then they will be restored if you restore the backup. If they are in iCloud (an umbrella term for a number of features), or were uploaded from your computer they won't be. Extracting from the backup is possible but not straightforward. It would be better to make local copies either way. I say this having read multiple posts from users who found themselves unable to restore a backup when the time came. It doesn't happen often, but archiving your backups, spreading the risk with an additional backup to iCloud, and copying off all important data should be standard practice to minimise the chance of data loss.

tt2

ios itunes back up for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.