Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for "whining" speakers

For almost the past year, I've noticed that the left speaker on my MacBook Pro is emitting high-pitched "whines" or buzzing sounds when I play audio over 50% volume.

The problem seems to only happen with audio from videos (Youtube, Netflix etc.), and not really music.

The higher pitched the audio is, the worse the "whines" get; they get more frequent and louder.

So, is the only way to fix this by taking it in for service and getting the speaker repaired/replaced?

It doesn't happen when I listen with headphones, so I am almost certain this is a hardware problem and that it would not be solved with software troubleshooting.

Open to any suggestions though!

For reference:

I have a 13-inch MacBook Pro (no-touchbar) purchased in August 2017; I'm still running High Sierra

MacBook

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2019 7:51 PM

iMac290 Said:

• "...I am almost this is a hardware problem and that it would not be solved with software troubleshooting."

-------

Reset your Mac's NVRAM and SMC.

• "The problem seems to only happen with audio from videos (Youtube, Netflix etc.), and not really music."

-------

Create a New Administrator User, and Try this Once More. If it this no longer occurs, then it's an issue with the software settings in your current user.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2019 7:51 PM in response to StefaniaS16

iMac290 Said:

• "...I am almost this is a hardware problem and that it would not be solved with software troubleshooting."

-------

Reset your Mac's NVRAM and SMC.

• "The problem seems to only happen with audio from videos (Youtube, Netflix etc.), and not really music."

-------

Create a New Administrator User, and Try this Once More. If it this no longer occurs, then it's an issue with the software settings in your current user.

Fix for "whining" speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.