Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[2019] mac mail had duplicate sent messages

I've discovered that Mac Mail stores a local copy of a message an accounts sent folder by default, but the SMTP server also stores the sent message in the sent folder as well. This results in duplicate send items in my sent folder, which is bad because this will double the amount of disk usage on my Mac and email provider

From googling I found that this problem has existed since at least 2013, and the solution use to be to disable store sent messages. However, in 2019 apple has removed this option from mailbox behavior.

I'm at a lost on how to stop mac mail from storing a copy of messages it sends.

Can anyone provide a solution other than dump mac mail

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 6:40 AM

This was tried and had no effect, because the way mac mail is designed to store a copy of every sent message in the "Sent" folder and at the same time outlook dot com's SMTP does the same. This creates a duplicated

The solution was to remove that account and add it as an Exchange account. It worked perfectly and I can even see the Exchange Calendar entries in Mac Calendar. Mac Mail treats Exchange accounts different by disabling the "Store copy to Sent folder".

I recommend anyone using Microsofts outline email services to try setting up using the Exchange option

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 6:40 AM in response to Eric Root

This was tried and had no effect, because the way mac mail is designed to store a copy of every sent message in the "Sent" folder and at the same time outlook dot com's SMTP does the same. This creates a duplicated

The solution was to remove that account and add it as an Exchange account. It worked perfectly and I can even see the Exchange Calendar entries in Mac Calendar. Mac Mail treats Exchange accounts different by disabling the "Store copy to Sent folder".

I recommend anyone using Microsofts outline email services to try setting up using the Exchange option

[2019] mac mail had duplicate sent messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.