Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

popup says Mail needs to import my messages

About a week or so after installing MacOS Ventura on my 2017 iMac, I got a popup window saying "Mail needs to import your messages." When I said ok, it said it was going to download over 238,000 emails. That was shocking. Will this create duplicates of all the emails I have ever received, including those that I have deleted? I tried restarting in SafeMode but I got the same popup. Does anyone know why this happened? Should I go ahead with the massive download or just stop using Mail and login to each of the accounts I have flow into Mail for convenience? One thought I had was to delete the accounts in "Internet Accounts" in Systems Preferences and then reintroduce them. Will this work or will this erase all the mail in my accounts in Mail, including quite a few folders?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 3:27 PM

After an upgrade, Mail has to rebuild its database. It doesn't matter how you do it, Mail will import the email on the server. The only way to stop it is to remove the email from the server.

What kind of accounts are they? Gmail stores all of your email, even the messages you deleted. You can prevent those from appearing in an IMAP email client (like Mail) in the Label settings on the Gmail web portal. Other servers may have some capacity to restrict what is shown on IMAP.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2023 3:27 PM in response to terpsmitty

After an upgrade, Mail has to rebuild its database. It doesn't matter how you do it, Mail will import the email on the server. The only way to stop it is to remove the email from the server.

What kind of accounts are they? Gmail stores all of your email, even the messages you deleted. You can prevent those from appearing in an IMAP email client (like Mail) in the Label settings on the Gmail web portal. Other servers may have some capacity to restrict what is shown on IMAP.

Aug 16, 2023 4:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

The accounts are Comcast accounts and my iCloud account. I don't have gmail imported into Apple Mail.

Thanks for your explanation. I wonder why it took a week and a few days for Mail to get around to trying to implement the import to rebuild its database. Guess I will just have to suffer the download and then get redelete all the ones I have previously deleted. The thought is daunting but I don't want to keep logging in and logging out of the accounts.

I recall in the past that Mail attempted a couple of times to download every email again. I stopped the process but don't remember how. That is not possible in this case since I cannot access Mail at all now unless I allow it to download everything. Oh, well....

Aug 16, 2023 8:23 PM in response to Barney-15E

Mail successfully downloaded the messages from my accounts to rebuild the mailboxes and all looks ok. Just as you said, the messages that I had deleted from Mail had also been deleted from the Comcast servers so they were not downloaded. There were no duplications at all of undeleted messages. I was remembering what happened years ago and clearly the two circumstances were not the same. I am so relieved. Thank you again for explaining that this download was just Mail rebuilding its database.

popup says Mail needs to import my messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.