Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to share photos via icloud so the recipient can store the images natively on their iPad or iPhone?

I am looking to share scans of old family photos that I added to iCloud photo albums with individual family members. I prefer to provide the photos so that the individuals can store the photos however they see fit and not create a "shared" album that everyone has access to.

Is this possible? Or do I need to send files via an FTP to each family member individually?

Thanks – I don't use iCloud or the Photos app for my photos, so this is a bit confusing to me.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 4:32 PM

Email them. AirDrop them.

If you are considering starting to use iCloud Shared Albums, once in the shared album, your family can download them from the album.

They are not the original files, but they can be saved to a device of their choice.

3 replies

Aug 15, 2019 2:24 PM in response to jt in nyc

jt in nyc wrote:

I am looking to share scans of old family photos that I added to iCloud photo albums with individual family members.

Thanks – I don't use iCloud or the Photos app for my photos, so this is a bit confusing to me.

These two statements are in conflict with each other -- how can you add to an iCloud photo album if you're not using iCloud or the Photos app for your photos? Maybe clarify your situation for recommendations.

Aug 15, 2019 5:55 PM in response to LACAllen

Thanks – this seems to be what I'm finding out. It seems to depend on the end user's device and software, but it looks like I can only download one photo at a time. I also lose metadata in titles and resolution may be compromised as well.

Since the files are too large to email, I'll simply use an FTP protocol to share the entire archive.

Is it possible to share photos via icloud so the recipient can store the images natively on their iPad or iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.