Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock orientation of camera at capture

I take tens of thousands of photos with my subject directly below the phone. Orientation lock does not lock the camera orientation when taking the photos, that I've found. The images are orientated in random directions depending on the mood of the phone regardless of setup or angle of the shoot. Is there a way to lock the camera orientation, not the screen orientation? This has frustrated me for several generations of iPhones and iOS updates.

Please do not respond with screen lock suggestions because they are not the problem. The problem is the orientation of the camera when pointing straight down. The camera becomes confused and orientates the image at random, regardless of screen lock.

iPhone 8

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 12:57 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 15, 2019 1:34 PM in response to Lab00Rat

After reading your post i attempted to take photos using my iPhone 6 iOS 12.4 in various angle but could not simulate your claim. (While taking shots My iPhone was, Landscape Mode, Portrait Mode, Upside Down, Horizontal both ways Floor & Ceiling), See the GIF below. (These photographs are not edited or orientation altered.)

I am unable to understand your query.

Aug 15, 2019 2:29 PM in response to SravanKrA

The photo is directly above the subject. Your camera angle is slightly off to recreate the effect. I have the grid enabled on my phone to ensure that I am exactly above my subject when taking the photo.

See these examples of an arrow where I have not made any modifications to the image. The camera changes the orientation at random because it gets "lost" when directly over the subject. The arrow is supposed to be pointing up in all images.

Lock orientation of camera at capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.