Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to save photos to Time Capsule instead of iCloud for all my photos

how to save photos to Time Capsule instead of iCloud for all my photos from my iPad and iPhone via iMac to Time Capsule

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 1:43 PM

6 replies

Aug 16, 2019 6:37 AM in response to markwmsn

Ok. My photo library is mounting to over 15,000. Of which a third are precious family.

The problem is, I don’t want to pay iCloud additional storage charges.

I use use my iPhone and iPad daily with photos. My iMac is where is store them when I come home and plug my devices in to recharge and update. Why do I want to pay addl storage with iCloud when I have a 2Tb iMac and a 3Tb Time Capsule?

I would like to create my own management of photos to automatically uplift and store safely from my iMac to Time Capsule. I just need to know how to set my two traveling devices and then iMac to auto store to Time Capsule twice a day?

Aug 16, 2019 9:08 AM in response to markfrompulborough

There are no settings that will copy photos from iOS devices directly to a Time Capsule. The closest you can come with the tools Apple provides is to arrange for the photos to be copied from your iOS devices to somewhere[1] on the iMac (using any of several processes[2]) and then to use Time Machine to backup your iMac (including the photos from the iOS devices) to the Time Capsule with Time Machine (which defaults to hourly, not daily).

The downside of keeping all of your precious photos only on local devices is that they are subject to loss in a common disaster (burglary, house fire, flood, hurricane, etc.). Of course, iCloud is not the only game in town for remote storage or backup. (iCloud Photos is a sync service rather than backup, but it can sync to a replacement device after a disaster.)

[1] The "somewhere" could be Finder folders or the Photos library.

[2] The Photos application can import into the Photos library. The Image Capture application can import to the library or to Finder folders. iTunes can include photos in its backups of the iOS devices under certain circumstances. (If the iOS devices are connected to iCloud Photos, an iTunes backup would not include the photos, and Image Capture may not find all of them. Individual photos would not be easy to extract from an iTunes backup.)

Aug 16, 2019 3:43 PM in response to markwmsn

Starting to see the bigger picture now however, bear with.

Of course, purchasing the Time Machine to backup my data/photos daily was one of the reasons for backup it I appreciate the fire or burglary aspect. iCloud is useful but over the year more expensive when using the higher option of more memory. Can you recommend the alternative when you mention iCloud is not the only game in town for remote storage or backup. The App Store has nothing really to offer. Who does?

how to save photos to Time Capsule instead of iCloud for all my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.