Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP Email account folders not loading into Mac Mail correctly.

Have an unusual problem, hoping it has a straight forward solution. I just Migrated from a Mac Pro to an iMac Pro. I have multiple active email accounts, and previously, in my Mail app, I would see the main inbox for each of those accounts at the top, and then all the associated subfolder / mailboxes for each of those accounts (the hierarchy of organized folders) would appear further down the sidebar, starting under "Smart Mailboxes". First account, then the subfolders, next account, subfolders and so on...

On my new machine, one of my IMAP accounts has all these subfolders listed directly under it's Inbox only. So it's become a bit of mess. If I twirl that down, it pushes all the other inboxes farther down the sidebar, which doesn't help for new, un-sorted mail.

I thought I could solve this simply by dragging a folder down the sidebar, but only creates a copy.

What is also confusing is that a non-standard IMAP account (Google based), is showing up exactly as it's supposed to in the side bar. Inbox folder at the top, and then all the related subfolders under it's mailboxes header further down the sidebar.

Hopefully this makes sense, but looking to see if there is anything that can be done to resolve??

Thanks!

Stephen

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 16, 2019 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 1:57 PM

So it turned out the only way to resolve this was to completely remove the email accounts from my machine and re-add / sync. The folders appear correctly in the sidebar. Gonna take some time to fully download but at least that fixed the issue.

Appreciated the feedback.

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 16, 2019 12:53 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply. So per the screen shot, I have the first mailbox with the (3)... that's Google. The other two mailboxes are IMAP account on another server. I've circled them magenta. Those used appear just like the Google account above, and then the mailbox subfolders moved below the Smart Mailboxes section. You can see I redacted the "Clients" area, which falls under that main Google account. So any other folders from the top would be sectioned off further down the sidebar.

I am familiar with Smartboxes and don't use them.

Aug 19, 2019 2:59 PM in response to BDAqua

On my webmail server it shows an Inbox at the top, Drafts and Sent. Then farther down the sidebar all of the folders in their appropriate spots.

If I drag any of the folders from either of those two accounts, it can only be added under one of the mail accounts that's already displaying it's subfolders correctly,. E.g. the one that says "Clients" is under my work email account. So if I drag "spam" from under the account Stuff, it copies that spam folder into the other account.

Not sure why, but I also don't have an "On My Mac" header at the top, it just says Mailboxes.

I was considering removing one of those accounts from MacMail and re-adding it, since it is IMAP, and seeing if the folders pop up correctly. However I want to just make sure there isn't a more straight forward fix.

Still unsure why migrating the user folder over changed the way Mail is displaying it.

IMAP Email account folders not loading into Mac Mail correctly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.