Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fresh install of mac os el capitan 10.11

I have an old mac mini (2010) and I want to install mac os.

Unfortunately the disk player from the mac mini isn't working and the disk I have (with Snow leopard), isn't working (I tried dvd sharing from a pc with windows 10).

So, I have a pc running windows 10.

I have a 32GB usb stick.

Can you help me make a bootable usb stick with mac os 10.11 in windows 10, in order to install it to mac mini?

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 4:43 AM

What Mac OS is on the Mac at the moment, or have you erased it. If you have erased it what was the OS that was on it previously. If it was Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan, then you should still have the Recovery HD which you can boot to.

then you should be able to download the OS from the internet. Make sure your Mac is connected to your router using a wired connection rather than WiFi. Please read this.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

If that doesn't work, or you are unable to, you probably need to make a genius appointment at your nearest Apple

Retail Store and get them to install an OS on your Mac.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2019 4:43 AM in response to apaixtos

What Mac OS is on the Mac at the moment, or have you erased it. If you have erased it what was the OS that was on it previously. If it was Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan, then you should still have the Recovery HD which you can boot to.

then you should be able to download the OS from the internet. Make sure your Mac is connected to your router using a wired connection rather than WiFi. Please read this.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

If that doesn't work, or you are unable to, you probably need to make a genius appointment at your nearest Apple

Retail Store and get them to install an OS on your Mac.

Aug 19, 2019 6:39 AM in response to apaixtos

So you gave the Mac to someone and they installed Ubuntu on it, by doing that they will have erased the Recovery HD

that macOS installs, so you will not be able to use internet recovery to install El Capitan.

Has that person not got a DVD reader/ writer, so you can at least install Snow Leopard.

Otherwise make a genius appointment at your nearest Apple Retail Store and get them to install El Capitan on it

bring a USB stick with you (16GBs).

Fresh install of mac os el capitan 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.