Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted plus sign

Older iMac has suddenly started inserting + sign when hitting space bar. Sometimes + sign will continue self entering. Sometimes switching to different usb port will clear issue. Sometimes it will not. This is intermittent. Once cleared it will work for awhile before starting up again. Have restarted, etc. Also tried startup while holding command,option,P, and R mentioned on another forum entry. This is the original wired keyboard received with the mid 2010 MAC. Anyone else have this issues or a fix. Next step is to get another keyboard but not sure if that is the issue.

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 1:41 PM

I suggest using the Keyboard Viewer virtual keyboard feature to help determine whether the plus key on your keyboard is activating due to a problem with the keyboard (damage, liquid spill, other contamination, etc). If a key is activating on it's own like what you are seeing I open the keyboard viewer. If a particular key is stuck ('+' sign in your case) on the Keyboard Viewer virtual keyboard, then you can be fairly certain that the keyboard itself is causing the issue and likely will need to be replaced.

Use the Keyboard Viewer on Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2019 1:41 PM in response to MAGRAG

I suggest using the Keyboard Viewer virtual keyboard feature to help determine whether the plus key on your keyboard is activating due to a problem with the keyboard (damage, liquid spill, other contamination, etc). If a key is activating on it's own like what you are seeing I open the keyboard viewer. If a particular key is stuck ('+' sign in your case) on the Keyboard Viewer virtual keyboard, then you can be fairly certain that the keyboard itself is causing the issue and likely will need to be replaced.

Use the Keyboard Viewer on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 22, 2019 3:19 PM in response to ProbsRus

Great tip. Wish I had tried that but did not see you suggestion in time. I went online with apple support and tried several suggestions such as remove all peripherals, try another keyboard (did not have) etc., but they did not help. It would throw random + signs into chat responses. Last attempt was to reboot in safe mode. Once I did this I could not log back in as it was filling up my login with plus signs and nothing I did would stop it. So decided to get a new keyboard. Bought a new wireless magic keyboard and logged right in. Have not had the trouble return in 3 days now so I guess that was it. Thanks again...going to check out the virtual keyboard anyway.

Unwanted plus sign

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.