Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Photo Albums onto an iPhone X ""Without iTunes"", Is it possible?

Hello people, I was wondering how everyone is putting photo albums from their iMac onto their iPhones without iTunes. From what I hear and read Apple is no longer supporting iTunes and that seems funny to me. WHY would they do this?

Okay, I'm a photographer and I need to reliably get my photos onto my iPhone and iPad.

I have an iMac 2017 - 27" Machine, Also, an iPhone 10 and I have an iPad Version 4

I have been using iTunes for years and I've been having tons of issues uploading my albums. I have spent hours/days on the phone with an iPhone/Apple Techs and they never figured out why... It works some days and then doesn't work for weeks. I'm not sure if it's all of Apples crazy up-dates they use to put out for their phone and iTunes is what was screwing up my up-loads but its been a struggle!

What do you guys do to up-load pictures and or albums to your iPhones?

HELP ME PLEASE

Thanks in advance, Gary

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 4:58 PM

11 replies

Aug 20, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks so much for your opinion and the options. I will for sure look into them.

I do all my editing in Photoshop and the images look amazing at 500KB for any sort of web files or to view on a computer or iPad. I also keep all of my RAW edited images at like 40 Meg Files as well as my edited ones as PSD Files in another folder. I store all of these images on a few different portable hard drive just in case I want to print any of them in the future! I've been doing this a long time and I've never been told I've been ruining any of my images by processing them in photoshop and saving them as a 500KB JPEG. I work with a lot of amazing Photographers.

Aug 20, 2019 2:03 AM in response to mictouch

but I hate to rely on the internet to show my photos to someone!

If you are using iCloud Photos Library, you need only the internet connection to sync the photos from Photos on our Mac to iCloud and to sync them to iCloud to your iPhone. Once the photos have been transferred to your iPhone you can use. them offline. You just have to disable the "Optimize Storage" option for iCloud Photos, so the photos will not be replaced by smaller, optimized versions on the iPhone.

That is how I am using iCloud Photos. I am keeping a small Photos Library with my favorites, that I want on all my devices and sync it with iCloud Photos, without "Optimize Storage". These photos are always stored locally on all synced devices and available offline. The added bonus is, that the Live Photos, videos, Portrait Mode photos are syncing perfectly, including the animation effects I added, and all adjustments are syncing lossless as well. It is much easier to use the iPhone to edit the photos on the iPhone after syncing it with iCloud Photos than after syncing with iTunes. All albums, folders, titles and keywords are syncing to the iPhone X, and I can search for the keywords and titles, even if they are not shown on the iPhone.

Aug 20, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

Not to make excuses but, I'm 62 years old and a PC user for ever. I'm totally green to operating a MAC. I really just know how to turn it on and start a program. All I have installed on my iMacs is Word, Excel and Photoshop. I make all my images about 500 KB's. so they can upload and download fast.

I have been using iTunes. I don't have an apps on my computer. Does that answer your question?

Thanks again, Gary

Aug 20, 2019 10:52 AM in response to mictouch

Okay, well I have no idea why you would ruin the quality of your images like that.

There's an app called Photos on your Mac. It's a manager for your images. Used in conjunction with the iCloud Photo Library it will effortlessly sync your photos (with our destroying them) from your Mac to your iDevices.

You can still use Photoshop to edit the images as you require.

That's the least expensive way.

The best way, for my money, is to use an app like Lightroom to manage and process the images, and, in particular the CC version, to sync them across your devices. These are made by Adobe and designed to work alongside Photoshop.

How these apps work and the many possibilities they offer are beyond the scope of this forum, but Google, and in particular, YouTube is your friend. Explore these possibilities. They will make your job easier and better.

Edit: if you're patient, then the next version of the OS, will allow you to direct add images to your devices via the Finder using drag and drop.

Aug 20, 2019 12:38 PM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry but when you say the "Next Version of OS" which version is that? Right now i'm using MacOS High

Sierra Version 10.13.6

I never did the Upgrade to macOS Mojave because all my other MAC friends never tried it and I don't like being the test dummy. I never did hear if it was any good either, your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time, Gary

Aug 20, 2019 3:01 PM in response to mictouch

I do all my editing in Photoshop and the images look amazing at 500KB for any sort of web files or to view on a computer or iPad. I also keep all of my RAW edited images at like 40 Meg Files as well as my edited ones as PSD Files in another folder.

This is where an app like Lightroom is a boon. So you have 40 mb Raws and what? 100MB PSDs eating up all your disk space. Using a non-destructive processor like Lightroom you'll save 100s of MB of disk space.

The next version of MacOS is 10.15, due in the Autumn.

Exporting Photo Albums onto an iPhone X ""Without iTunes"", Is it possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.