Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD Clips looking jagged but get sharp when I hit pause.

I recorded my clips on a new HD/4K webcam and everything looks fine when I play it in QuickTime. Playing it in Final Cut or iMovie causes it to look pretty jagged. Strangely to me it sharpens up when I pause the video. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 4:48 PM

What computer are you using? Or are you viewing on an external monitor? What are the media specs? 4K is only the resolution; there are other factors involved, and there are a number of different 4Ks. Viewing full screen means making it fit the screen. How but does that is greatly going to effect how the image looks.

4K is probably not a good choice for the project. Where are you going to, and how is it going to be seen? Which format does your project use the most? Scaling up video, especially from 720 to 4K, can make the image look really soft.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2019 4:48 PM in response to pik80

What computer are you using? Or are you viewing on an external monitor? What are the media specs? 4K is only the resolution; there are other factors involved, and there are a number of different 4Ks. Viewing full screen means making it fit the screen. How but does that is greatly going to effect how the image looks.

4K is probably not a good choice for the project. Where are you going to, and how is it going to be seen? Which format does your project use the most? Scaling up video, especially from 720 to 4K, can make the image look really soft.

Aug 21, 2019 5:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

It's going on YouTube which will be on various devices (including my 5K iMac and TVs.) I wish I was able to record the webcam video in 4K but from what I read this MacBook can't record that high? Oddly my iPhone 7 that came out in the same year can record 4K. I may have to make my project 720 or 1080 now I am thinking. That would work ok but it would have been nice to Have a higher resolution option somehow. Maybe the only answer is to get a laptop that has enough processing power to record 4K?

Aug 21, 2019 6:12 AM in response to pik80

Sharing to YouTube in 4K is overrated.

Hardly anyone will see it in 4K. YouTube decides which version to serve any client, based on network connection. Even if you are on a device with a 4K display you will need to actively choose the 4K version in most cases.

The greatest advantage of 4K recording is the ability to reframe without losing any quality.

Aug 21, 2019 6:47 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yeah, for a lot of people 4K doesn't matter. It's just that devices like the 5K iMac and 4K TVs have been out for several years now and it's best to be a bit a head of the curve as more people go with these kind of setups. This particular video I am working on isn't the most important but I would like to know how to do this with other videos.

HD Clips looking jagged but get sharp when I hit pause.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.