Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App

I've recently update OS to Mojave. Now whenever I'm using Photos, when I select "duplicate 1 photo" the app. quits. Any clues, advice or similar will be gratefully received. Many thanks. TC

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 2:13 PM

11 replies

Aug 21, 2019 2:28 PM in response to timcarless

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, timcarless!

I understand that whenever you select a duplicate photo in the Photos app, it quits. I'd be happy to provide information to help you troubleshoot this issue.

Try the applicable steps in this article first: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

Then if the issue persists, try selecting the photo in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Enjoy your day!

Aug 25, 2019 9:31 AM in response to timcarless

1 - As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread).

2 = next open your current library and test again.

3 - if you're still getting crashes log into another user account on your Mac and run the test in #1 above. This will tell us if the problem is limited to your account or is system wide.

Aug 25, 2019 7:16 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Hello Keith,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, it is *any* photo regardless of where it appears in the app/program. Exporting/importing does nothing to resolve the issue, if I follow this procedure, the end result is the same i.e. as soon as I select *duplicate 1 photo* the app quits. Interestingly, I can't find anything else that causes Photos to quit or crash. However, the facility to duplicate photos is so important to my work.

Any other clues or ideas will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

TC

Aug 25, 2019 11:08 AM in response to Old Toad

Dear Old Toad,

Thank you for spending some time on this.

Okay... so by starting with option pressed and creating a new library, I'm able to duplicate photos without the app closing. Hooray! However, my switching back to my old library, once more the app. quits immediately if I try to duplicate.

Is there a simple/effective way to merge the old library with the new or... ?

With much gratitude!

TC

Photos App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.