Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost your Recovery Key option no longer present

I am attempting to reset a password for my iPad Gen 1, iOS 5.1.1. I have two step verification (not *authentication*) enabled for this iPad. When I log in to Apple's account management via my computer, there is no longer an option to replace a lost key in my security section. Any workarounds?

iPad

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 5:19 AM

Are you following the steps in thus article?

If you lost your Recovery Key

As long as you remember your Apple ID password and still have access to one of your trusted devices, you can sign in and create a new Recovery Key.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account.

If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2019 5:19 AM in response to Roe999

Are you following the steps in thus article?

If you lost your Recovery Key

As long as you remember your Apple ID password and still have access to one of your trusted devices, you can sign in and create a new Recovery Key.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.

Keep your new Recovery Key in a safe place. Your old Recovery Key won't work anymore and you can't use it to reset your password or access your account.

If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Eric Root

After selecting Edit for the Security section I see the following four sub-sections:

Password > Change Password

Trusted Phone Number > Add a Trusted Phone Number

App-Specific Passwords > Generate Password

Two-Factor Authentication (marked as On)

There is no Replace Lost Key sub-section available in the Security section. FYI, I am logging in from my computer. I am open to further suggestions.

Dec 2, 2019 2:26 AM in response to Roe999

Not sure whether you have sorted this now, but i had the same problem (hence reading this thread) and spoke to Apple Support on the phone about my ancient iPod Touch. After trying mulptiple times to sign in to my iCloud account, the Touch was requesting a Recovery Key, which like you, i could not get, or have the option to get.

In the end, it was a case of deleting the iCloud account i was trying to sign in with (hence needing the recovery key) then re signing in. At this point, when signing in again my phone/ipad was triggered to give the two factor 6 digit numerical code. What i didn't know and the helpful chap on the phone told me, is that eventhough the older devices do not get the 'pop-up' box for said six digits, where the password is required for the apple id, you then add the six numbers straight after your password with no spaces.

Worked for me and no longer asks for a Recovery Key.

Oct 7, 2019 2:20 PM in response to Eric Root

You make a good point about 2-step verification being phased out; however, a group of Apple Customers signed up for the initial phase of the two-form verification. This select group is renumerated to always having a Recovery Key. So not entirely wrong about it 'no longer existing', but not fully accurate either.

You have the option to upgrade from two-step verification to two-factor authentication (if your account is eligible). Switch from two-step verification to two-factor authentication.

If your account isn't eligible to upgrade, two-step verification is still here to help protect you.

Nov 2, 2019 4:24 PM in response to nanette148

Do you have 2 Step Verification or 2 Factor Authentication? There is no Recovery key for 2 Factor Authentication.

Recovery key for 2 Factor Authentication no longer exists

contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

Lost your Recovery Key option no longer present

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.