Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery key

I have an older iPad that I'm trying to sign in. It keeps asking for a recovery key. I have lost mine.

There's an answer that advises going to my Apple ID page and getting a new recovery key there.

But I don't see that in the Apple ID page.

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 1:27 PM

If the 'What if I lose my Recovery Key?' section of the article below doesn't work to include "If you don't see Recovery Key in the Security section, then you are not using two-step verification"

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ    

If necessary, contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support          Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 1:27 PM in response to juniorspecial

If the 'What if I lose my Recovery Key?' section of the article below doesn't work to include "If you don't see Recovery Key in the Security section, then you are not using two-step verification"

Apple ID - Two Step Verifications FAQ    

If necessary, contact Apple ID Support.

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support          Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport

Apr 8, 2020 5:23 PM in response to juniorspecial

The Recovery Key stuff was largely retired a while back, and the two-step authentication was migrated to two-factor authentication. Too many folks were losing their keys.

So you have an iPad, and you don’t know the associated Apple ID, or is it the password that’s been forgotten?

Or do you have the associated Apple ID and password? Because if you do know the credentials, then you can reset the device. You might also be able to allow device access from iCloud.

Apr 9, 2020 1:10 PM in response to MrHoffman

I have an older iPad. I have the associated Apple ID, and the password.

But, in trying to login to iCloud, there is a screen which asks for my "Recovery Key".

If I don't put that in there, I can't get any farther in trying to login to iCloud.

I would think if I had my ID and Password I could login.

But I can't. It keeps asking for my recovery key.

Recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.