Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" MacBook Pro (2019) just turn off and don't start

My 2019 13" MacBook Peo just turn off and don't start again when I open it. Usually it happens between 30 and 40% battery level.

It's brand new, I have never charged it since I opened it.

It start again when I connect it to the charger.

Whats the solution?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 7:16 AM

Similar questions

44 replies

Aug 21, 2019 12:10 PM in response to dominik0428

93% makes sense. It's a 10 hour battery and it runs down at a rate of 10% per hour under normal use. Mine does the same. I have a 2018 MBP 15". Like another poster said earlier, test it a few times. Charge it up fully and allow it run down naturally by normal use. I don't know all the embedded kexts in MacOS so it's very possible that Apple has a protection mechanism built into MacOS to shut it down once it reaches below a normal charge level depending on use. For example, you have 30% charge left but if you're running Final Cut Pro, Chrome or other CPU hungry applications they will drain your battery much faster. In the middle of transferring files or rendering you could lose valuable files. Oh, and don't use Chrome unless it's absolutely necessary.

My recommendation is to reset SMC just to be sure it's operating correctly.. That's the System Management Controller. You can see how to do this and Apple's explanation of it here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Oct 1, 2019 6:41 PM in response to dominik0428

Your Mac is designed to NEVER over-charge.

The suggested procedure for recent Macs is to charge overnight, then do an SMC reset, religiously following the proper procedure for your model Mac, including which keys on which side of the keyboard are called out. The keys with the same labels on the other side are not wired in and will not do the job.

There is no penalty for SMC reset multiple times. Apple no longer recommends deep discharge for the batteries they are using in current Macs.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 21, 2019 7:58 AM in response to dominik0428

I gotcha on that but you said "Usually it happens between 30 and 40% battery level". That tells me that you've tested it multiple times and it's been happening. Now you're saying it did it once? Very confusing what you're stating. Just take it back to Apple and exchange it again. Never heard of this before. Also, why are you letting it run all the way down to 30% charge?

Aug 24, 2019 5:59 AM in response to DPJ

Do you think it will solve the problem?

I didn’t use the computer for difficult work when it turned off. I just turn on and I do nothing, but when it reaches 35% battery always turn off and I cant turn it on with the power button, just with the AC adapter. Then it shows that I have 0%, but when I log in it’s 35% or more again.

What do you think?

Aug 31, 2019 2:48 AM in response to DPJ

I'm a big fan of Apple, but after this experience I'm really confused. I have iPhone, Apple Watch, but after having 3 MacBooks with the same problem, I wouldn't like to buy a next one.

I'm sure it's a big problem with the batteries, because when it starts charging and it's 5% and I plug the charger out, it goes up to 45% immediately. It's unbelievable, it's not a small problem.

But I don't really know what to do.

What alternatives are there?

Aug 31, 2019 2:54 AM in response to dominik0428

"I'm sure it's a big problem with the batteries"

You may have bought it from a reseller with a bad batch of machines. I haven't heard anyone complain about the batteries in the 2019 MacBooks and I'm on 3 different forums. I don't stay in tune with all other brands so unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for you. Check out Reddit perhaps for other brands to consider. I do know for a fact to stay away from Lenovo Thinkpads. They're pretty bad with issues.

But yeah, at this point just get a refund and go for a Windows machine. Just keep in mind they have issues too.

Aug 31, 2019 3:07 AM in response to dominik0428

Configuration shouldn't matter, especially if it's something going weird with the battery. I have a 2018 MBP and have never experienced such an issue. One other option you could try is to do a full erase, reformat and install of MacOS Mojave. It's possible (but uncommon) that the factory image of MacOS Mojave has a glitch causing false readings on the battery which makes the system management controller shut down the Mac to protect from data loss.

You can do internet recovery to get a fresh copy of MacOS. From a shut down, press any key to start up the MacBook. Immediately hold down Command+R. Then go to Disk Utility and choose to erase MacOS and format with APFS encrypted/non-encrypted. Then go back to the install screen and choose Reinstall MacOS. See how that works.

Aug 31, 2019 3:22 AM in response to dominik0428

"You don't understand me."

I absolutely do understand you and I'm frustrated now because you're asking the forum for help but are unwilling to take the advice myself and others have offered. Just take it back for a refund. Why can't you just do that? I'm no longer part of this thread because I think you're sorta trolling. I find it so interesting these new threads of issues and constant complaints are only from new accounts and not from members who've been here for years.

"I wouldn't like to "home service","

I have no idea what this even means. Please check your grammar before posting in the future.

13" MacBook Pro (2019) just turn off and don't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.