Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot sync icloud mail w/ new Win 10 laptop using Windows Mail App but no 2 factor authentication

I just bought a new laptop with Win 10. I was able to get my verizon and gmail accounts to work in Windows Mail, but cannot get my iCloud mail (and more importantly Contacts) to sync.

I saw a previous solution to fix the situation when you use 2 factor authentication for icloud mail. The suggested fix was to go into your icloud account, then in security ask it to generate an app specific password for Windows Mail, then put that app specific password in when setting up the icloud account in Windows Mail. However, that solution is not available if your icloud account does not use 2 factor authentication (which I don't want).

So, how can I get my Windows 10 Mail to sync my icloud mail and contacts.

I have an older PC with Outlook and I've used iCloud for Outlook on that PC and am able to sync my icloud mail and contacts in Outlook.

Must I just add Outlook to my Win 10 laptop? Is that possible?

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 1:51 PM

It appears that in order to have Win 10 Mail sync with your Apple mail and contacts, you MUST use two factor authentication for your iCloud account, then have your iCloud account create an app specific password. I spoke with an Apple rep and there does not appear to be any way to get Win 10 Mail to sync with your Apple account without the app specific password.

The details can be found here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7163094?answerId=31965810022&page=1

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 1:51 PM in response to Williasp

It appears that in order to have Win 10 Mail sync with your Apple mail and contacts, you MUST use two factor authentication for your iCloud account, then have your iCloud account create an app specific password. I spoke with an Apple rep and there does not appear to be any way to get Win 10 Mail to sync with your Apple account without the app specific password.

The details can be found here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7163094?answerId=31965810022&page=1

Cannot sync icloud mail w/ new Win 10 laptop using Windows Mail App but no 2 factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.