Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use Thunderbolt to do Migration Assistant?

I am trying to transfer data from the 2013 iMac to the new 2019 iMac, but I have a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 and then a Thunderbolt 2 adapter in my house. How can I use it to setup migration assistant because when using migration assistant (peer to peer), it would not transfer software like Chrome, or Xcode, or Firefox. When attempting to do time machine backup, it is too slow that after a day, it instead of downloading, it failed. I couldn't even erase the drive, until my MacBook Pro 2019 (my primary mac), does the job. My last resort would be to do the plug in with thunderbolt 3 and thunderbolt 2, but I don't even know how to connect it so that migration assistant would work with Thunderbolt instead of using the peer to peer.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 9:08 PM

It would be much much easier to connect the old computer's Time Machine backup External Hard Disk to the new computer via USB and then run Migration Assistant on the new computer. This is the fastest, most reliable and easiest method and oh, it just works. If you don't have a Time Machine backup from the old computer then create one and then do the migration.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2019 9:08 PM in response to iHelpFixUriDevice

It would be much much easier to connect the old computer's Time Machine backup External Hard Disk to the new computer via USB and then run Migration Assistant on the new computer. This is the fastest, most reliable and easiest method and oh, it just works. If you don't have a Time Machine backup from the old computer then create one and then do the migration.

How can I use Thunderbolt to do Migration Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.