Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleID not accepted on Home Sharing in AppleTV

I have done a factory reset on my AppleTV and cannot sign into HomeSharing with my AppleID. I can enter my AppleID username, and I can enter the Apple ID password, and I even can receive and enter the 6 digit verification code that pops up on (*either / or / both...*) my cell phone or laptop... but then it all falls apart. At this point I get a message saying "Unable to Sign In : The AppleID you entered couldn't be found or your password was incorrect. Please try again. To change or reset the password ..."

Except my password *IS* correct. I've entered and re-entered it numerous times now, I was able to successfully sign in to iTunes on this same AppleTV, and I was able to sign in here to this website to post this diatribe of frustration that you are reading right now.

But I cannot sign in to HomeSharing, and I also cannot sign in to the Cloud.

Help. Please.

PS I don't know what generation this AppleTV is. It's an older model, but it *does* allow me to enter a 6 digit verification code, so that's not the issue.

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 3:46 PM

Similar questions

23 replies

Aug 25, 2019 3:35 PM in response to turingtest2

I am having the same problem. Apple's ID verification process is clearly broken. Often, when I log into things requiring an Apple ID, for instance, I have to log in twice. The first time I'm told my user ID or password are wrong, which is definitely not the case.

As for my Apple TV issue, it is the same as the OP's. I cannot turn on Home Sharing from within the Apple TV menu.

• my Apple TV, MacBook Pro, iPhone, and time capsule are all running latest OS/software, and have ALL been restarted....some more than once

• the Apple TV allowed me to log in to the Apple store, using....my Apple ID and password....the very same ones that Home Sharing is telling me are wrong

• the Apple TV allowed me to log in to my iCloud account successfully....again, using my Apple ID and password

• my MacBook Pro's firewall is OFF

• like the OP, the Home Sharing setup screen prompts me with my Apple ID (which has already worked TWICE....see above), and then sends the 6 digit code to my MBP and my iPhone, which I enter into the Apple TV, only to be told I don't know my own ID and password

I don't understand why this thing can't "just work".

Aug 23, 2019 5:28 PM in response to turingtest2

It might be a 2, but Home Sharing was working up until I went on vacation last week. Thanks for the article, but this indicates that it should be the 1s that have the issue?

I only did the factory reset this morning because I realized that some parts of the Apple TV were still using my sisters AppleID accounts from when she lived with me two years ago. I did the factory reset to start afresh and re-log in to my own accounts in every app.

I have ave since been able to log in to the Cloud, but Home Sharing is still telling me that my password or ID is incorrect.

Again, I can log in to iTunes on this same device, and have now even told the device to use the saved AppleID user name and password (from my successful iTunes login) to attempt the login to HomeSharing, and I am able to receive and enter the verification codes, but after this step, HomeSharing tells me that the password or ID is incorrect.

Sep 30, 2019 7:32 PM in response to dstray

I also have the 3rd generation Apple TV, same as vanessawinter69.

I have been working with a senior Apple tech support person who has been helpful, to the extent that he can. He did acknowledge that this is a problem that they've been seeing. I'm not going crazy....my Apple TV isn't trying to gaslight me. This is an issue coming from Apple, its servers, and maybe something to do with 2 factor authentication. I just tried a software update to the Apple TV 2 days ago (I'm now running 7.4 (8081)), and I'm still having the same problem.

It's very frustrating when Apple breaks a device that was working perfectly well. Naturally, we're well beyond the money-back period.

It appears they are beginning to apply the revenue-generating mechanism that has worked so well with iPhones to Apple TV's (update the software until the hardware breaks).

The things I find totally inconsistent about all this....

1) It asks for my password, and then challenges me with a 2-factor PIN code, and then tells me I don't know my Apple ID and/or password. If I was truly getting my password wrong, you'd think it would fault me before the PIN code stage.

2) I logged into both the iTunes Store and iCloud, on the very same Apple TV device, using the very same Apple ID and password. No resistance from the device or software, whatsoever.

3) Despite #2, above, when I log into my Apple ID on the web, and look to see what devices are signed in under it, I see my phone and my laptop.....but no Apple TV....despite the fact that the Apple TV happily signed into my iCloud and iTunes accounts.

Does anyone else feel less than secure when the 2 factor authentication system is not working the way it should?

Oct 2, 2019 2:09 PM in response to jrmyeh

Add me to this list of having the exact same problem. ATV 3rd Gen. Worked fine until I signed out of Home Sharing while trying to debug a music library issue. Now can't log back into Home Sharing. Login into iCloud and iTunes, no problem. Log into Home Share and nada. All suggestions made thus far have not worked. The suggestion of entering <password><verification code> does not work as there is no way to enter alpha characters on the verification code screen. Something is definitely busted in Apple Land.

Oct 3, 2019 4:07 PM in response to d18ge

To my knowledge, there is no way to log into Home Sharing using a 3rd generation ATV if the 6-digit code is not working, so if you are using one to access your music library, DO NOT TURN OFF HOME SHARING!!! I solved my problem by replacing my ATV with a spare unit that I forgot I still had and it apparently was already signed in from when I last used it and it connected immediately. So repeat, don't turn off home sharing if you have an older ATV and are using to access your music library. It would be nice if Apple sorted this problem out as I think it is broken on their end. Entering the 6-digit code should work but somehow the linkage between the code and the Apple ID is broken.

Apple, are you listening? There are a lot of older ATVs still in use so don't leave folks out in the cold.

OK, I will now get off my soapbox <g>

Oct 10, 2019 3:26 PM in response to HelpMePleaseFfs

It seems I had a similar problem with my I have an ATV3, getting that error message, but I could still Home Share (???) whiile signed in iCloud and Apple (iTunes) store.

But once I updated to Catalina (yesterday), it no longer worked that way for me. I was able to sign into iCloud and Apple store (by getting a verification code through my iPhone and adding those 6 digits to my password).. I also tried using my Apple ID after selecting "use another Apple ID" and entering my PW with/without the 6 digit verification code. I noticed on my iMac and iPhne that there was a notification in my Settings>Apple ID indicating that I had to re-enter my PW in order to complete a change (I assumed my fiddling around with the ATV3. But nothing seems to work to sign in for Home Sharing. I tried just using just my PW and also tried getting a verification code and adding that to my PW. But no luck.

Nov 3, 2019 7:30 AM in response to LynnFarr

Sometime after my original post of Oct 10th, the issue resolved itself. The problem I had prior to Oct 10th: I had signed into iCloud and iTunes on my ATV3 but could not get any Home Sharing. When I tried to enter my PW after selecting computer/home sharing on the ATV3, my PW was not accepted.

A few days after Oct 10th, I checked again (without trying to enable Home Sharing but still signed in iCloud and iTunes) and I was able to do Home Sharing. My music, movies and photos were available for Home Sharing on my ATV3. Now, after enabling sharing on my Mac (through System Preferences) I do not have to choose Home Sharing each time I want Home Sharing. The only thing I have to do now is select a different folder of photos if I want to. But if I want the same folder, it's already selected as a default.

Home Sharing still works with the recent update to Catalina (version 10.15.1).

I guess the only thing I do't know (since I did not have to do it) is whether the six digit authentication will be needed or work (if needed in the future). Or if signing into iCloud and iTunes will be sufficient to enable Home Sharing. I guess I'll cross that bridge when/if I have to.

AppleID not accepted on Home Sharing in AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.