Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad videos storage

Hi, lately when I make a video in iMovie and then try to upload it to YouTube, I get the message “Downloading videos, some of the videos in this project are being downloaded from iCloud”. These are short videos I just took and stitched together in IMovie. I live in a rural area and it takes over 30 minutes for a 45 second video to come down from the cloud. This never use to happen, why are my videos stored in the cloud? Thanks for your help.

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 6:11 PM

Hello,

Sure, I can help walk you through on how to save a video file to Files. First thing you will need to do is verify that you are connected to a stable network connection as you’ll first need to download the video from iCloud.

Open Photos and open a video you’d like to save locally to your iPad. Tap the action button (square button with an upward facing arrow). Tap “Save to Files”. A new window will open with the folder hierarchy of your iPad. Open the “On my iPad” section.

This is where it can get a little confusing. As of right now the On My iPad section is a little limited in what you can save here. Apple has announced that as apart of this fall’s iPadOS 13 update that these restrictions will be removed. As of this point you cannot save any files in the top level of this section. You will need to open an existing folder, any folder will work, and then tap the save button. The file will now be available in this folder and will not be saved on iCloud.

In iMovie you access these files from from the iCloud Drive button in the import section. While this is labeled iCloud Drive, this really just opens the iPad’s file browser window to select any file that you’d like.

I’m aware that this may sound a bit confusing and I’m certain that after playing with this for a few minutes you’ll get the hang of it. If you have any question do not hesitate to reach back out to me and I’ll do my best to help!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2019 6:11 PM in response to DeeKay3000

Hello,

Sure, I can help walk you through on how to save a video file to Files. First thing you will need to do is verify that you are connected to a stable network connection as you’ll first need to download the video from iCloud.

Open Photos and open a video you’d like to save locally to your iPad. Tap the action button (square button with an upward facing arrow). Tap “Save to Files”. A new window will open with the folder hierarchy of your iPad. Open the “On my iPad” section.

This is where it can get a little confusing. As of right now the On My iPad section is a little limited in what you can save here. Apple has announced that as apart of this fall’s iPadOS 13 update that these restrictions will be removed. As of this point you cannot save any files in the top level of this section. You will need to open an existing folder, any folder will work, and then tap the save button. The file will now be available in this folder and will not be saved on iCloud.

In iMovie you access these files from from the iCloud Drive button in the import section. While this is labeled iCloud Drive, this really just opens the iPad’s file browser window to select any file that you’d like.

I’m aware that this may sound a bit confusing and I’m certain that after playing with this for a few minutes you’ll get the hang of it. If you have any question do not hesitate to reach back out to me and I’ll do my best to help!

iPad videos storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.