Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If Optimise Storage is turned on, why do videos in iCloud.com buffer?

As above. A small circle appears in Photos on iCloud.com in individual videos in bottom right of screen that gradually fills up, then video will play. Because I keep the originals in the cloud and especially when I open them in iCloud.com, why do they buffer here? They buffer on my devices also (but not on laptop) but I cannot understand that as the originals are not on my devices but are in the cloud, so where could they be downloading them from? Is it something to do with internet speed, ie, speed to the router, or is it due to poor connection between the router and where am sitting with the device? Do I need faster internet speed to the router or a booster in the house? We can get FTTP, fibre to the premises but faster speed to my router I think, does not mean good connection from the router to the device. Getting FTTP is quite messy and more expensive. Please advise.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 4:18 AM

When you play your originals from the cloud, they still have to be loaded/buffered to play from the cloud since the originals are not on your device. Kind of like YouTube videos.

Similar questions

1 reply

If Optimise Storage is turned on, why do videos in iCloud.com buffer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.