Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st Generation Apple Pencil Suddenly Not Charging Properly

Hi,

My 1st generation apple pencil stopped charging properly as of this morning. The battery percentage somehow plummets out of nowhere and keeps disconnecting while plugged in. I tried rebooting the ipad pro device as well as turning the Bluetooth on and off and re-pair the pencil to no avail. I should add I'm running the 12.4 iOS and that I've been using my iPencil on a daily basis, hence kept regularly charged.

I thought maybe switching to Logitech Crayon would be a better solution until I found out it's not made compatible to the 2nd generation ipad pro, just like the latest apple pencil is made not compatible with my device!

Can anyone advise if there's any possibility that the 2nd generation iPencil or the Logitech Crayon stylus are gonna be made accessible for older-than-3rd-generation ipad pro models in the future?

Posted on Aug 23, 2019 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 4:46 PM

Nope on the 2nd gen Apple Pencil.

For one thing, how would you charge it on older iPads?

There is no way to do that with the Apple Pencil 2.

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2019 4:46 PM in response to abby0001

Nope on the 2nd gen Apple Pencil.

For one thing, how would you charge it on older iPads?

There is no way to do that with the Apple Pencil 2.

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

Aug 24, 2019 3:37 PM in response to QuickPost

Hi there,

No unfortunately it's not compatible as the only listed compatible iPad pro with Logitech Crayon is the 3rd generation one. Here's the link (look for Compatibility drop-down):

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/HMGA2PA/A/logitech-crayon-for-ipad

I did. But even if it turns out to be defective and replaced under the warranty I would still want to have a second option as I'm highly dependent on the stylus for work. I specifically went for iPad Pro thinking the more you pay the less you'll be left out from upcoming upgrades. But sadly for some apparent reasons Apple wants us to pay for the new iPad Pro and of course it's gonna be the same story in a matter of two years with the new iPad pro as well.

I hope it changes.

Aug 24, 2019 4:40 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean there's still hope to see the iPencil (2nd generation) become available?

I use it everyday and charge it every other day on average. Today I noticed it might be an iOS bug cuz it does not update the battery percentage of the iPencil. Also I'm guessing they added a feature to the Bluetooth connection so that the pen goes disconnected after some time being idle. Either this new feature is probably interfering with the charging process somehow or it's simply a mistake in screening the actual connectivity/charging status and the pen is being charged regardless.

1st Generation Apple Pencil Suddenly Not Charging Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.