Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get a virus?

I have the 2019 Mac book pro. I once played animal jam on this computer and it got somewhat hot at the bottom. I read recently on here that that happens bc my computer is not made for gaming.

Questions:

1) Can I still download games on my Mac?

2) Will I get a virus from downloading Minecraft?

3) Will it slow down my battery life or overall computer life?

I really want to play Minecraft but I'm worried that even the smallest game will give me a virus. Im a YouTube and I need to be on my Mac a lot. So I really can't risk it. Please lmk what you think I can do! thank you!! :)

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 7:12 AM

Games are very resource-intensive. They will heat up your machine. You can download all the games you want. Ideally, download them from the Mac App Store. Otherwise, make sure they have valid signatures. If your Mac refuses to open it, please don’t follow instructions to disable all of the built-in antivirus protections on your machine. People do that. Minecraft is a popular game and should be safe. If you download add-ons that did not come directly from Minecraft, then you might have to be more careful. Again, all you need to do is pay attention to security dialogs. If your Mac doesn’t want to open a file, there is probably a good reason for that. If you are playing these resource-intensive games while on battery, then they will drain your battery and reduce your battery life over time. But that is not a knock against games per se. Any software will do that if you run on battery. Don’t run on battery unless you need to.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2019 7:12 AM in response to bluecolliex

Games are very resource-intensive. They will heat up your machine. You can download all the games you want. Ideally, download them from the Mac App Store. Otherwise, make sure they have valid signatures. If your Mac refuses to open it, please don’t follow instructions to disable all of the built-in antivirus protections on your machine. People do that. Minecraft is a popular game and should be safe. If you download add-ons that did not come directly from Minecraft, then you might have to be more careful. Again, all you need to do is pay attention to security dialogs. If your Mac doesn’t want to open a file, there is probably a good reason for that. If you are playing these resource-intensive games while on battery, then they will drain your battery and reduce your battery life over time. But that is not a knock against games per se. Any software will do that if you run on battery. Don’t run on battery unless you need to.

Can I get a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.