Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not Communicating with Printer

I installed the Canon Image Class MF644cdw printer and scanner drivers. The printer is connected to the iMac (late 2009) via USB cable. When I try to print from the iMac, I usually, but not always, receive the message "waiting for printer to become available." Sometimes it actually prints correctly but is unpredictible. Yesterday I tried restarting my computer before attempting to print and that worked. Today it didn't. I tried re-installing the driver without uninstalling the existing one (because I was not exactly sure how) - that didn't work. I've had the same problem with the MacBook Pro - there is something wrong with communication between Mac software and the Canon printer. I haven't tried the scanner yet, so have no idea how that's working. Thanks.

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 1:27 PM

Did you try what was in he article in the last line of my post, some of which you have done. Did your try using another cable?

You can try contacting Canon Support. I had to try to load the link twice to get it to work.

Canon Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 25, 2019 8:44 AM in response to Atrast

Are you running any anti-virus programs?

Did you download Sierra compatible drivers?

Have you tried turning the printer off and then back on?

Try going to System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, then control - click in the left panel, and reset the printing system. Add back the printer.

If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure.

Troubleshoot Printing Issues

Aug 26, 2019 1:22 PM in response to Eric Root

Are you running any anti-virus programs? NO

Did you download Sierra compatible drivers? YES

Have you tried turning the printer off and then back on? YES

Try going to System Preferences/Printers & Scanners, then control - click in the left panel, and reset the printing system. Add back the printer. DIDN'T WORK

If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure. DON'T HAVE PRINTERS IP ADDRESS.

Aug 26, 2019 2:20 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks, Eric. I had tried everything mentioned in Troubleshooting that was relevant to a USB connection. Today I simply winged it, putting existing drivers in the trash, emptying the trash and re-installing the drivers. Reset the printing system again, turned off the printer, shut down the computer, turned on the printer, turned on computer and the printer is working, for now anyway. My experiences with Canon support have not been...productive. Thanks for your help.

iMac not Communicating with Printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.