Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone6 wifi hotspot won't work unless I disable/enable it first

Hi, I've had this issue for awhile. To get my iPhone6 Personal Hotspot to work, I first have to disable/enable it first. Immediately after enabling it again, other devices can connect to it. Another observation I've made is that when I disable/enable the Personal Hotspot, it will allow devices to connect to it for only a few minutes. If no connections are made after a few minutes, I have to disable/enable Personal Hotspot again before devices can connect.

This looks like a time-out issue but is this intentional or is it a bug? If I leave Personal Hotspot enabled it should just work. I shouldn't always have to disable/enable it to make it work. I have this issue with many of my different WiFi clients so I'm pretty sure this is an iPhone6 issue.

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 11:39 AM

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)

With Personal Hotspot, you can share the cellular data connection of your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) with another device. If you need help with Personal Hotspot, follow these steps.

Use these steps first

Try again after each step.

1. Check that Personal Hotspot is turned on in Settings > Personal Hotspot. If you can't find or turn on Personal Hotspot, check that your wireless carrier enabled it and that your wireless plan supports it.
  2. Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. 
  3. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
  4. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If you still need help, use the steps below for help with Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.

Personal Hotspot

with Wi-Fi

Personal Hotspot

with USB

Personal Hotspot

with Bluetooth

If you can't connect to Personal Hotspot with Wi-Fi

On the device that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > Personal Hotspot, then follow these steps:

1. Make sure that Personal Hotspot is on. 
  2. Remember the device's Wi-Fi network name and password that appear on this screen. If you want to change the Wi-Fi network name, learn how to change your device name.
  3. Stay on this screen until you connect your other device to the Wi-Fi network. 

On the device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot, follow these steps:

1. Turn Wi-Fi off and back on.
  2. Make sure that you connect to the correct Wi-Fi network. The network name is the same as the iOS device that provides Personal Hotspot and  might appear next to it.
  3. If you see a password error when you try to join Personal Hotspot, check the Wi-Fi password: On the device that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > Personal Hotspot to see the Wi-Fi password.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2019 11:39 AM in response to Ron99

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)

With Personal Hotspot, you can share the cellular data connection of your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) with another device. If you need help with Personal Hotspot, follow these steps.

Use these steps first

Try again after each step.

1. Check that Personal Hotspot is turned on in Settings > Personal Hotspot. If you can't find or turn on Personal Hotspot, check that your wireless carrier enabled it and that your wireless plan supports it.
  2. Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. 
  3. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
  4. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If you still need help, use the steps below for help with Personal Hotspot over Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.

Personal Hotspot

with Wi-Fi

Personal Hotspot

with USB

Personal Hotspot

with Bluetooth

If you can't connect to Personal Hotspot with Wi-Fi

On the device that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > Personal Hotspot, then follow these steps:

1. Make sure that Personal Hotspot is on. 
  2. Remember the device's Wi-Fi network name and password that appear on this screen. If you want to change the Wi-Fi network name, learn how to change your device name.
  3. Stay on this screen until you connect your other device to the Wi-Fi network. 

On the device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot, follow these steps:

1. Turn Wi-Fi off and back on.
  2. Make sure that you connect to the correct Wi-Fi network. The network name is the same as the iOS device that provides Personal Hotspot and  might appear next to it.
  3. If you see a password error when you try to join Personal Hotspot, check the Wi-Fi password: On the device that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > Personal Hotspot to see the Wi-Fi password.

iPhone6 wifi hotspot won't work unless I disable/enable it first

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.