Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if when you are restarting in safe mode you are waiting for Long time to get to login menu? I’m seeing white wheel in lower middle screen and black curser in upper left hand corner while in start up safe mode sill holding shift key and nothing

After latest update auto installed, I got rainbow wheel o death.... now trying to reboot in safe mode. What if when you are restarting in safe mode you are waiting for Long time to get to login menu? I’m seeing white wheel in lower middle screen and black curser in upper left hand corner while in start up safe mode sill holding shift key and nothing happens ??? Does this mean that the computer is dead ??? Please help, I have two online exams for school today!!!

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 11:44 AM

"Safe Mode" performs a number of actions including a cursory startup disk directory verification and repair. That can take some time, but it may also be an indication that it has suffered some degree of corruption.

If you have reason to believe your MacBook Air will never start up, force it to shut down by pressing and holding its power button long enough for it to shut down—ten seconds or so. Then, attempt to start it again in the usual manner.

If that doesn't work, then boot macOS Recovery and restore its content from its Time Machine backup.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Marianne Aiken

"Safe Mode" performs a number of actions including a cursory startup disk directory verification and repair. That can take some time, but it may also be an indication that it has suffered some degree of corruption.

If you have reason to believe your MacBook Air will never start up, force it to shut down by pressing and holding its power button long enough for it to shut down—ten seconds or so. Then, attempt to start it again in the usual manner.

If that doesn't work, then boot macOS Recovery and restore its content from its Time Machine backup.

What if when you are restarting in safe mode you are waiting for Long time to get to login menu? I’m seeing white wheel in lower middle screen and black curser in upper left hand corner while in start up safe mode sill holding shift key and nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.