Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SSD install (Mojave) Boots on Internal Disk That I Don't Physically Have

Can someone please help me figure out what this list means? 1TB Fusion Drive failed. It was only displaying 128GB out of the 1TB. Purchased new 1TB SSD. Installed new SSD, booted iMac, used System Preferences to point to the new 1TB SSD as the boot drive but diskutil list is still showing an internal 128GB drive that I have no idea what it is...

Here is the list terminal gave me.

What do I need to do, if anything to get rid of those other drives that are not there. I do have a Time Machine backup but can easily start fresh as I had just completed a clean install anyway with Mojave.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 1:08 PM

A fusion drive consists of two physical drives, an small SSD and the larger HDD. In your case the larger HDD failed and you replaced it.

I had two drives in a 2011 iMac, not a fusion configuration, that died and removed them both. The HDD was easy to find but the SDD was hidden under the mother board.

There is a Terminal command to join two drives into a fusion drive but I'm not sure it will work if the larger drive is also an SSD: How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

OR you can have two drives, the 128 SSD for booting and holding your apps ,etc. The 1 TB SSD can be used for iTunes and Photos libraries, and other large storage, i.e. Movies etc.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2019 1:08 PM in response to phishjams

A fusion drive consists of two physical drives, an small SSD and the larger HDD. In your case the larger HDD failed and you replaced it.

I had two drives in a 2011 iMac, not a fusion configuration, that died and removed them both. The HDD was easy to find but the SDD was hidden under the mother board.

There is a Terminal command to join two drives into a fusion drive but I'm not sure it will work if the larger drive is also an SSD: How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

OR you can have two drives, the 128 SSD for booting and holding your apps ,etc. The 1 TB SSD can be used for iTunes and Photos libraries, and other large storage, i.e. Movies etc.

New SSD install (Mojave) Boots on Internal Disk That I Don't Physically Have

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.