Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt port display

I've got an A1407 Thunderbolt Display here at work and after I plug in the permanently attached thunderbolt cable to either of my Macbook Pros (Retina 15in Mid 2015 and Retina 13in Late 2013), the display flickers a few times and then turns completely black. It feels like it's the permanently attached thunderbolt cable that has a short in it. Is it possible to connect one of these Macbooks directly to the thunderbolt port on the back of the monitor? I don't know if that port is only for attaching additional devices or if you can connect it to a computer.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 8:22 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 26, 2019 10:26 AM in response to t.moe

Thanks for your help! I picked up a thunderbolt cable and the display worked fine with both laptops. Now I have a buzz/static sound coming out of the speakers. Sounds like maybe a grounding issue. Perhaps that thunderbolt/magsafe cable does have a short in it and is causing a bad ground and the speakers in the monitor are producing the noise.

thunderbolt port display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.