Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore iPad and bypass iCloud activation lock

I had an iPad mini for a couple of years and stopped using it but forgot the Apple ID and password that I had on this device and when I restore it, it won't let me do anything because its locked by Apple ID.

It says "This iPad is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iPad"

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 5:18 PM

You cannot bypass activation lock. I'm guessing you didn't write your Apple ID and Password down when you set up the device? These are critical pieces of information to keep stored somewhere safe for future reference.

On the activation lock page is a hint as to what the Apple ID was when you set up the iPad. It looks something like: j********@me.com (or some variation of that). That would have been your Apple ID. Does it bring back a memory of what it was?

You can use this link to try to recover your Apple ID and Password: If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you are unable to recover the ID and Password, you will need to find the original purchase receipt with the iPad serial number on the receipt and present that to Apple for assistance. If however, you don't have the original purchase receipt and you can't figure out your Apple ID, your device will be useless.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2019 5:18 PM in response to nickminieri

You cannot bypass activation lock. I'm guessing you didn't write your Apple ID and Password down when you set up the device? These are critical pieces of information to keep stored somewhere safe for future reference.

On the activation lock page is a hint as to what the Apple ID was when you set up the iPad. It looks something like: j********@me.com (or some variation of that). That would have been your Apple ID. Does it bring back a memory of what it was?

You can use this link to try to recover your Apple ID and Password: If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you are unable to recover the ID and Password, you will need to find the original purchase receipt with the iPad serial number on the receipt and present that to Apple for assistance. If however, you don't have the original purchase receipt and you can't figure out your Apple ID, your device will be useless.

How do I restore iPad and bypass iCloud activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.