Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture after OS 10.14.6 cannot scan B/W pdf

After updating to OS 10.14.6, Image Capture cannot do PDFs anymore. While the Overview can see the image, upon saving, the PDF file shows slanted lines only. This problem affects all PDF formats with B/W or Text Only and in all resolutions. Well, color scans or save as JPG or TIFF are unaffected. I have tried on multiple Brother MFC-L2710DWs. Same problem. Apple please fix this problem.

Macbook Pro 15" retina 2014

Mac OS 10.14.6 with latest supplement as of Aug 27, 2019

Image Capture version 8.0 (1106)

MacBook

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 3:45 PM

There is a 10.14.6 Supplement update released Aug 29 that may be in your Software Update panel ready to install.

Have you applied the 2019 updates for this device (including the firmware update) and scanning support software? Followed up with the Reset the Print System steps.

Afterward, try Preview again, or even the Brother scanning software.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 3:45 PM in response to Skipain

There is a 10.14.6 Supplement update released Aug 29 that may be in your Software Update panel ready to install.

Have you applied the 2019 updates for this device (including the firmware update) and scanning support software? Followed up with the Reset the Print System steps.

Afterward, try Preview again, or even the Brother scanning software.

Aug 29, 2019 2:51 PM in response to Skipain

To see if a 3rd party scanning app can scan a B/W image to PDF download and try VueScan. They have a demo version of it you can try.

Also have you logged into another user account on your Mac and tried to scan B/W to PDF? This will tell us if the problem is system wide or limited to your user account.

If the above fails boot into Safe Mode and try from there. Then reboot normally and try again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing.

Aug 29, 2019 9:54 PM in response to Old Toad

I tried ExactScan and it worked perfectly. So, this is an Apple OS problem. It is system wide too as I have multiple Macs and multiple Brother MFC printers. They all have the same problem after updated to 10.14.6. On one of my Macs, I explicitly scanned a document when it was on 10.14.5 and the scanned PDF was perfect. Then I updated it to 10.14.6 and immediately the problem appeared. Anyway to revert it to 10.14.5 without a time machine backup? I regret I did not have OS backup before updating to 10.14.6.

I will try safe mode later. Will keep you posted.

Am I the only one using Brother MFC all-in-one printer and scan in Black and White PDF format ? how come I am the only one reporting this ?

thank you

Image Capture after OS 10.14.6 cannot scan B/W pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.