Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture after upgrade to OS 10.14.6 cannot scan B/W pdf

Does anyone know if this issue (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250589508) is fixed in Catalina 10.15.3. I've been having the exact same problem. Just get garbage when I want to scan to pdf in black and white. Scanning in color is OK. I haven't upgraded to Catalina yet but I will upgrade now if this will fix the problem.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 9:44 PM

Try using the application Preview to scan your docs. You'll find it in the Applications folder.

With you scanner plugged in to your MacBook, launch Preview.

Then click File > Import from Scanner...

If all is working properly you should now be able to set the specifics of your scans such a resolution and color vs bk/wt. Then click overview and let the scanner go to work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2020 9:44 PM in response to smartini1000

Try using the application Preview to scan your docs. You'll find it in the Applications folder.

With you scanner plugged in to your MacBook, launch Preview.

Then click File > Import from Scanner...

If all is working properly you should now be able to set the specifics of your scans such a resolution and color vs bk/wt. Then click overview and let the scanner go to work.

Mar 5, 2020 9:47 PM in response to smartini1000

smartini1000 wrote:

...I haven't upgraded to Catalina yet but I will upgrade now if this will fix the problem.

If you're considering upgrading to Catalina, before you upgrade, please look at these Apple Support documents. Specifically, check that your Macintosh is on the list of compatible computers and familiarize yourself with the limitations of 32-bit applications and Catalina.

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Learn about 32-bit app compatibility – Apple Support 

Be aware that any 32-bit apps that you are currently using will be incompatible with Catalina

This includes older versions of MS Office applications and many others. All current Apple software is Catalina-ready, and updates for some older Apple titles are available for download in the Mac App Store.

You can check which of your current apps are 32-bit by clicking Apple menu >System Preferences > About This Mac > System Report.  Then scroll down the list on the left to <Software> and click <Applications> (you may have to click the triangle next to Software). It may take a moment, but shortly your Mac will display a list of the apps installed on your computer. You can then click the column labeled 64-Bit (Intel) and sort them by Yes/No.

Any apps that are listed as No in the 64-bit column will not work under Catalina.

This 32-bit detail has tripped up many users who have upgraded to Catalina and then find their software is broken.

Optionally, to check for 32-bit apps, you can use the free app Go64. – it’s a compatibility scanner from St. Claire Software.

Image Capture after upgrade to OS 10.14.6 cannot scan B/W pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.