Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator “Render PDF to Images” locked to 200 dpi ?

Hi folks , I’ve spent the better part of 2 hours going nuts with what should be a simple Automator flow : I want to split multi page input PDFs to JPEGs at a DPI other than the default 200 that the “Render PDF to Images” action uses . Running latest macOS 13.1 .

Whenever I try to change it to anything else (100 or 300 for example) I get a frustrating error message that says that the value is “Maximum Exceeded” or “minimum not met” (depending if over or under 200 ).

I’ve tried changing the Automator type from quick action to application to workflow and nothing I do will let me change that 200 DPI to any other value!

This feels like it’s got to be a bug? Suggestions ?

In desperation I am currently using a shell script to run an imagemagick/Ghostscript command , but this is less than ideal because Ghostscript is sort of ugly and hard to work with , and imagemagick requires installation via homebrew.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 11:10 AM

Note that my example Automator solution at that link worked on macOS 12.6.1 where I tested it. Attempting to build or use the identical workflow on Venture 13.1 fails when setting the DPI above 200 dpi. As is frequently the case: Apple makes changes between operating systems that breaks something, and this is it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 11:10 AM in response to alesser

Note that my example Automator solution at that link worked on macOS 12.6.1 where I tested it. Attempting to build or use the identical workflow on Venture 13.1 fails when setting the DPI above 200 dpi. As is frequently the case: Apple makes changes between operating systems that breaks something, and this is it.

Jan 1, 2023 3:14 PM in response to VikingOSX

I agree, its annoying they broke it.

In this case I decided to install "convert" (in the imagemagick suite) via homebrew, followed by calling a shell command from Automator. Stinks that I have to resort to this, but at least it's easier in terms of english-friendly arguments than ghostscript (and yea, i know it uses GS in the back).

Jan 1, 2023 3:54 PM in response to alesser

In my own experience with ImageMagick's convert utility, I could never get a resulting jpeg or image format from a PDF page greater than 72x72 dpi despite specifying -density 300 on the command line. That was my unmentioned motivation in recommending just Ghostscript to do the image conversion of PDF pages, as the resulting images were 300 dpi when checked in Preview.

Automator “Render PDF to Images” locked to 200 dpi ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.