Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Storage Discrepancy

After deleting, uploading to the cloud and scanning & cleaning with Omni Disc Sweeper, I am no further ahead.

When I click "About this Mac" - it does show that I have freed up space and now have over 200 GB available as apposed to 63 GB before the clean.

However, when I conduct a "Quick Look" in Finder - it shows 36 GB free. Omni Disc Sweeper also shows around 36 GB free.

Any ideas? Its as though my machine has a tapeworm....it is filling up...but you can't see it.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) - using Mojave Version 10.14.6

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 4:02 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 27, 2019 4:17 PM in response to Marie_67

It would appear there is a large amount of space taken by various system snapshots. Note that as space is needed this snapshot space is released to the system. However, control over this space is restricted to macOS.

Get Correct Storage Information

Do not use the information from the Storage section of the About This Mac dialog. Ignore the Storage information as it is typically wrong. To find out the correct information for any disk: Select a Desktop disk icon. Press Command-I to open the Get Info window and look at the topmost panel displayed. You will find the disk information displayed for Capacity, Available, and Used. If you have more than one disk/partition then repeat for each one on your Desktop.

The categories found in the Storage section of About This Mac is simply an arbitrary way of displaying files on your drive. There are no such categories actually on the drive.

Macbook Pro Storage Discrepancy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.