You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot Password on MacBook Pro and Unable to Reset

I either forgot the password to my MacBook Pro or something is corrupted. However, I believe I’m using the correct password. I have tried everything I know to recover or reset it. I follow all of the steps and get the screen below telling me ‘server not available’ or the screen goes black and the cursor just blinks and the keyboard is locked out. I have also tried using the ‘Helpful Hint’, but that didn’t work either. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 7:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 7:31 PM

Hi,

Following tip could help your question.

1. Reboot your Mac while holding down the Command key and R. Keep holding the key combination until the loading bar appears.
  2. Once in the Recovery Mode, select Terminal from the Utilities menu.
    • If things just got a bit too geeky for you, don’t be alarmed. If you follow the next few steps, you’ll recover your lost admin password in no time.
  1. Type “resetpassword” in the Terminal window and hit enter.
    • A welcoming graphical window will appear, allowing you to reset your admin password in a familiar way.
  1. Select the storage device that contains the operating system.
  2. Select the admin account.
  3. Click on the Change Password button.
  4. Enter a new password as well as a new password hint.
  5. Save and restart from the main menu.
  6. Log in with your new admin password.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2019 7:31 PM in response to Rick9948

Hi,

Following tip could help your question.

1. Reboot your Mac while holding down the Command key and R. Keep holding the key combination until the loading bar appears.
  2. Once in the Recovery Mode, select Terminal from the Utilities menu.
    • If things just got a bit too geeky for you, don’t be alarmed. If you follow the next few steps, you’ll recover your lost admin password in no time.
  1. Type “resetpassword” in the Terminal window and hit enter.
    • A welcoming graphical window will appear, allowing you to reset your admin password in a familiar way.
  1. Select the storage device that contains the operating system.
  2. Select the admin account.
  3. Click on the Change Password button.
  4. Enter a new password as well as a new password hint.
  5. Save and restart from the main menu.
  6. Log in with your new admin password.

Forgot Password on MacBook Pro and Unable to Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.