Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 booting by itself Please Help!!

Hello!

So I was messing with my power strip (which the imac is plugged into) organizing things and i had the strip turned off when i turned it back on my imac booted for some reason. The screen is just black there is a constant orange light coming from the power button and there is no boot chime. I dont what happened because it working fine when i last booted it up also it does not react to anything (power button, keyboards power button, reset button, keyboard commands) I can only shut it down with powering off the strip.

Please Help!!!

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 10:24 AM

How long had it been since its last successful boot? If it has been off wall power for longer than the few minutes you disconnected it this time, the internal backup battery (the "PRAM" battery to most of us) is likely dead and that can cause startup issues.

Is this a tray-loading or slot-loading iMac G3? Do you remember what OS is on it?

Some version of the macOS have a preference setting that will turn the computer on following a power failure. I don't have access to a working pre-OSX system at the moment so can't check where it is, but I'd hazzard a guess it is under an energy saving pref.

Do you have the system install/restore disks that came with the computer? If so, try starting from that disk instead by holding the c key at boot.

Once we know the sub-model we can better advise if there are known issues.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 10:24 AM in response to Hedgehog444

How long had it been since its last successful boot? If it has been off wall power for longer than the few minutes you disconnected it this time, the internal backup battery (the "PRAM" battery to most of us) is likely dead and that can cause startup issues.

Is this a tray-loading or slot-loading iMac G3? Do you remember what OS is on it?

Some version of the macOS have a preference setting that will turn the computer on following a power failure. I don't have access to a working pre-OSX system at the moment so can't check where it is, but I'd hazzard a guess it is under an energy saving pref.

Do you have the system install/restore disks that came with the computer? If so, try starting from that disk instead by holding the c key at boot.

Once we know the sub-model we can better advise if there are known issues.

Aug 28, 2019 10:43 AM in response to Hedgehog444

Does the power actuator button seem to push in and release normally? When you re-energized the power strip, it's possible that the iMac's power micro-switch or other component took a surge, creating a permanently closed circuit. Those micro-switches can fail after repeated use, but if you typically use the keyboard to power on the computer, that could suggest otherwise. Perhaps it was going to happen the next time it was powered on, and had nothing to do with the interruption of power from the strip. Is the power strip only that - a multi-outlet distribution strip, or does it include surge protection? If the latter, does it have LED light(s) to indicate that the protection is still functioning?

iMac G3 booting by itself Please Help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.